- My NYPL
Tools and Services
- Using the Library
I am a...
- Classes & Events
- Support the Library
New York StartUP! 2015 Business Plan Competition
New York StartUp! 2015 Business Plan Competition
Win up to $15,000 to start your business!
The New York Public Library in conjunction with its sponsor, Citi Foundation, is proud to announce the 6th Annual New York StartUP! Business Plan Competition for New York-based startup entrepreneurs with cash prizes totaling over $30,000.
Entrants gain practical insights about starting and growing a business, while using the comprehensive small business resources at NYPL’s Science, Industry and Business Library (SIBL).
- You must be 18 years of age or older, live in Manhattan, The Bronx, or Staten Island as a legal resident or US citizen, and wish to start a business in Manhattan, The Bronx, or Staten Island. See Rules and Eligibility.
- Start Ups Only. All businesses must have ideas or business models in the start-up phase. Operating businesses that have earned more than $10,000 in revenue are not eligible to enter the competition.
This competition is for For–Profit Businesses ONLY. Non-profits are NOT eligible.
- Attend one (1) Orientation Session - click here for the schedule.
- Attend 3 out of 4 technical workshops scheduled January 2015 – April 2015 - View the schedule.
- Meet regularly with a business advisor throughout the Competition - Click here for a list of business advisors
- Upload your business plan to the NY Start UP! Competition Fluid Review room site no later than midnight, June 9, 2015
To Enter the Competition:
- Create an account on the NY StartUP! 2015 site on FluidReview.
- Submit an entry form on the NY StartUP! 2015 site on FluidReview by midnight, Tuesday, February 3, 2015
Note: Creating an account doesn't mean you've submitted an entry form. If you previously participated in the 2014 New York StartUP! Competition your name may already be in the Review Room site and you will need to reset your password.
Your entry form must include the type of business you plan to start.
StartUP! Entrants: Plans are due no later than June 9, 2015 at midnight.
Please upload your plan in PDF format to the NY StartUP! Fluid Review site.
1st Place Award: $15,000
2nd Place Award: $7,500
3rd Place Award: $5,000
4th Place Award: $1,500
5th Place Award: $1,500
Video of the 2013 New York Start Up! Winners
StartUP 2012 Winners and Finalists below:
First place $15,000 - Dwayne Samuel, R.N., Esq. and Jason Funes, JD for a business plan to create Curatio HCS, a full-service home health care agency in the Bronx.
Second place $7,500 Bernice Mast and Richard J. Becker for their plan to create Wheatless and Meatless, gluten-free vegan burger mixes and meal starters.
Third place 5,000 Rina Mansukhani and Christi Helsel for iEvoke, a plan to create a line of products that uses the powerful connection between scent and memory.
Runner-up : $1,500 Jean-Pierre Adechi of Wheelie
Runner-up : $1,500 Monica Sharma and Kim Nguyen of Runway Exchange
New York StartUp! 2012 Finalists:
Dwayne Lloyd Samuel
Precious L. Williams, Esq
Shaunte L. Williams
2012 New York Start Up! Winners!
Start UP! 2011 Competition - Read about 2011 winners. Link to list of 2011 winners and judges
View a list of the finalists for the 2011 competition.View a video of 2011 Winners (bottom of page)
Watch a Video about 2010 winners (1st annual competition, 2010)