Rules and Eligibility - New York StartUP! 2023 Business Plan Competition
1. Entry Form Competition entrants must complete an online entry form in the New York StartUP! 2023 Business Plan Competition site to enter the Competition. (This competition will hereafter be known as “NY StartUP! 2023”).
2. Age All NY StartUP! 2023 applicants, whether individuals or members of a team, must be 18 years of age or older to win a cash prize. Documentation may be required.
3. Location The business proposed in the NY StartUP! 2023 entry form must operate in Manhattan, The Bronx, or Staten Island.
4. Residency All individual applicants and team members must be legal residents or U.S. citizens. All individual applicants and/or team leaders must have a legal residence in Manhattan, The Bronx, or Staten Island. Documentation will be required of the finalists.
5. Start-Ups Only All businesses must have ideas or business models in the start-up phase. Operating businesses that have earned more than $10,000 in revenue are not eligible to enter the competition.
6. For-Profit Businesses Only NY StartUP! 2023 is a business plan competition for for-profit businesses. Non-profits are not eligible to enter.
7. Individual and Team Entry NY StartUP! 2023 entrants may enter only once, either as an individual or as part of a team. If entering as a team, the team must appoint one individual as the team leader and main contact, and one other as the secondary contact. The team leader must be a resident of Manhattan, the Bronx, or Staten Island. The team leader's entry form must list all individuals on the team.
8. Orientation All participants must attend a virtual Orientation Q & A Session.
9. Entry Form Entry forms must be submitted on the NY StartUP! 2023 site no later than 11:59 PM on January 31, 2023.
10. Training Workshops All eligible individual entrants and either the leader or secondary member of an eligible team are required to attend all FOUR (4) virtual training workshops held from January through April 2023.
11. Meet with a Business Librarian ( Consultation online) Each applicant must meet at least once with a business librarian before March 15, 2023. Click here to schedule a consultation.
12. Meet with a Business Advisor Each applicant must meet at least once with a business advisor during the Competition. Click here for a list of advisory groups.
13. Deadline Your Business Plan must be uploaded to the StartUP! Competition site no later than 11:59 PM on May 31, 2023.
14. Judging Criteria Applicants must read and become familiar with the Judging Criteria and Elements of a Business Plan template.
15. Ineligibility Employees or their family members from either The New York Public Library or Wells Fargo are not eligible to enter NY StartUP! 2023 either individually or as any part of a team.
16. Finalists Finalists will be asked to provide their 2021 tax return and an NYS driver license or an NYS non-driver ID card.
17. Disbursement of Funds Prize money will be awarded to each winner following the end of the competition. The winning NY StartUP! 2023 entrant or team will have sole responsibility for deciding how to allocate or otherwise use its prize proceeds.
Please note that the awards are taxable and that The New York Public Library must have the winner’s Social Security number before a check can be issued.
18. All decisions of the judges are final.
19. Confidentiality By the submission of your Business Plan, you understand and agree that a short description of your Business Plan will be considered a “public summary” of your plan and may be used in public documentation related to the competition. The Library will provide a copy of your business plan to competition staff and judges and will inform them that no additional copies are to be made.
20. Disqualification Violation of any one or multiple rules for eligibility will result in disqualification from NY StartUP! 2023 at any point.
Please Note: Interpretation and enforcement of these regulations are at the sole discretion of the New York Public Library and the decisions of the judges are final.
Questions about the StartUp! Competition? Contact email@example.com