Lambshead legacy : the ranch diary of Watt R. Matthews / edited by Janet M. Neugebauer ; introduction by Frances Mayhugh Holden.
- Lambshead legacy : the ranch diary of Watt R. Matthews / edited by Janet M. Neugebauer ; introduction by Frances Mayhugh Holden.
- Matthews, Watt.
- College Station : Texas A&M University Press, 1997.
Items in the Library & Off-site
|Status||Format||Access||Call Number||Item Location|
|Text||Request in advance||F392.B842 M38 1997||Off-site|
- Additional Authors
- Neugebauer, Janet M., 1935-
- xx, 277 p. : ill., maps; 25 cm.
- The goal for Lambshead Ranch, located about 120 miles west of Fort Worth, Texas, has always been to convert grass into beef cattle at a profit. In Lambshead Legacy: The Ranch Diary of Watt R. Matthews, Janet Neugebauer's carefully researched annotations place Watt and his ranching efforts in the larger context of the industry - from the branding pens and the winner's circle at a stock show to a board meeting of a national breed association and times with fellow rancher.
- Lyndon B. Johnson. The diary, focusing on Watt's life from 1951 to 1980, contains Watt's records of the number and kind of cattle, the work completed on them, the pasture they were moved to, and their sale price. Also Watt recorded the weather at Lambshead, the names of visitors, and the parties, with the names and number of people who attended. At times, Watt referred to the diary to refresh his memory or settle factual disputes. Frances Mayhugh Holden's introduction.
- Focuses on Watt himself - his early years, education at Princeton, family responsibilities, and commitment to preserving the ranch's historic heritage and natural environment. Along with Neugebauer's scene-setting, a picture of a steady life without hurry or stress and filled with the savoring of each piece of ranch work develops.
- Series Statement
- The Centennial series of the Association of Former Students, Texas A&M University ; no. 66
- Uniform Title
- The Centennial series of the Association of Former Students, Texas A&M University ; no. 66.
- Brazos River Valley (Tex.) > Biography
- Ranch life > Texas > Brazos River Valley
- Ranchers > Texas > Brazos River Valley > Diaries
- Brazos River Region (Tex.) > Biography
- Lambshead Ranch (Tex.) > Biography
- Ranch life > Texas > Brazos River Region
- Ranchers > Texas > Brazos River Region > Diaries
- Matthews, Watt > Diaries
- Maps on lining papers.
- Bibliography (note)
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 255-265) and index.
- Processing Action (note)
- committed to retain
- Owning Institutions
- Harvard Library