Click to search the Andrew Heiskell Braille and Talking Book Library Skip Navigation
This page has been archived. It is no longer updated.

Best of the Web

  • Four photos of the Island by noted photographer Berenice Abbott, from the NYPL Digital Gallery. The photos are from Abbott's Changing New York project (1935-1939). They include the Garibaldi Memorial at 139 Hope Avenue, and 340-348 St. Mark's Place (2 photos).
  • A collection of over 30 postcards and photos (primarily from the early 20th Century) including: SI ferryboats "Richmond" and "Perth Amboy", Bird's Eye View of Stapleton, Actor's Fund Home in West New Brighton, Sailor's Snug Harbor, Britton Ice House, Voorleezer's House, Conference House, "Barrett, Nephews and Co.", New Dorp Train Station, Terra Marine Inn in Huguenot Park, Port Richmond in the 1920s and more.
  • NYPL's collection of 30,000 digitized images (from the 1920s back to the 1600s), of all types. For Staten Island images select the folder "New York City-Staten Island". It includes 18 Island images: The Dongan Manor, The Quarantine, Standard Varnish Works in Elm Park, The Alice Austen House, The Billopp (Conference) House, Mount Hermon, Boardwalk at South Beach, the New York Yacht Club and more.
  • This searchable collection of over a quarter million online historical images of all types includes over 1,000 Staten Island images as well as many more from around New York City.
  • Of the twelve branches of The New York Public Library on Staten Island, the St. George Library Center has the largest collection of local history information. There are over 250 books and pamphlets on local history, biographies, culture, and the environment clippings from local newspapers telephone directories from 1985 onwards government documents on secession, the landfill, and various environmental assessment statements. The Staten Island Advance is available on microfilm from 1921 onwards, as well as the Property Assessment photographs of the 1930's and 1940's.
  • During the 1930s the Works Progress Administration photographed almost every house on Staten Island. The St. George Branch has microfilm reels of these photos allowing viewers to find pictures of their house or other locations as they appeared in the 1930s. To order these photos see: NYC Department of Records and Information Services (DORIS)
  • This list provides an inventory of the 768 images in The New York Public Library's Staten Island in Vintage Postcards collection. Most of these images have been digitized and are now available for home access in NYPL Digital.
  • Located on the main floor of Staten Island Borough Hall are thirteen large, newly restored, murals depicting scenes from Staten Island history.