Click to search the Andrew Heiskell Braille and Talking Book Library Skip Navigation

Make A Gift by Beneficiary Designation

Making a gift to the Library by beneficiary designation from any or all of the following types of TOD (“Transfer on Death”) accounts is a simple and tax-efficient way to fund your legacy and avoid the time and expenses that result from having the assets subject to the probate process.

TOD Gifts

TOD Gifts may take the following forms:

Retirement Plans: Many people do not know that when retirement plans such as pension funds, 401ks, 403bs, and IRAs are left to an individual other than a spouse, they can be subject to income taxes and estate taxes. The two taxes combined could erode up to 80% of the remaining benefits.

If given to the Library, these funds would escape all income and estate taxes and reduce the size of your total taxable estate. The Library would receive 100% of the remaining benefit in your retirement plan, whereas your heirs may receive only a portion of the benefit.

Life Insurance: If you own a life insurance policy that is no longer needed for the protection of your family or for other purposes, you may use it to make a gift to the Library. One way to give a life insurance policy to the Library is to name the Library as the owner and irrevocable beneficiary of the policy. In doing so, you qualify for an income tax deduction for the cash value of the policy. Alternatively, you could name the Library as the beneficiary of the policy. In this case, your estate would be entitled to an estate tax deduction equal to the value of the policy.

Financial Accounts: Many people’s primary assets are held in savings, checking and brokerage accounts. Designation of these assets incurs no cost to you and allows whatever balance  (or portion thereof) remaining to pass to the Library at your death. 

Completing the Designation

Naming the Library as beneficiary of any of the abovementioned gift types is easy: Contact a representative of the institution that manages your account or policy, and request a “change of beneficiary form.”