As part of our new Summer at the Library campaign—our biggest summer program ever!—we encouraged readers everywhere to share their love of reading by showcasing their favorite summer reads and adding to our virtual summer bookshelf. Now, 10 of those titles, recommended by book lovers like Min Jin Lee and Rachel Bloom, are available for unlimited borrowing to anyone with an NYPL library card! Check out one of these great summer books on SimplyE, our free e-reader app for iOS and Android, to read on your next summer adventure.
Skip the hold lines on popular titles like Lessons in Chemistry by Bonnie Garmus, The Women’s House of Detention by Hugh Ryan, Time Is a Mother by Ocean Vuong, The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller, and more. Dive into a great new summer read today!
Join In! How to Share Your Summer Reads
Check out the instructions below for help in recording and sharing your Instagram Reel and add a title to the #NYPLSummerBookshelf today!
- Open Instagram Reels. Click the three stars above the record button and search "NYPL" in the effects library.
- Look around to find your favorite spot in our virtual branch to use as a background.
- Press the record button. Tell us who you are and what your favorite summer read is. Even better, show us your book!
- When you’re done filming, post the video to your account. Make sure to tag it with #NYPLSummerBookshelf so @NYPL can help spread the word!
- As always, don’t forget to add closed captions to make sure everyone can enjoy your post. Before uploading, click on the square with a smiley face, then select the “Captions” icon, and Instagram will do the rest.
We’re here to help you find your next great read! Book lovers from all over have shared their own fave picks for #NYPLSummerBookshelf. Watch their clips, then add your own recommendation.
Discover oceans of possibility at The New York Public Library this summer with free events and programs for all ages, book giveaways, our all-new Make Waves program for kids and teens, reading recommendations, and much more!
Learn more about The New York Public Library’s largest circulating branch—the Stavros Niarchos Foundation Library (SNFL)—which features new, state-of-the-art library services for all ages.
Get the best from the Library direct to your inbox! From our free programs, events, and exhibitions to activities for kids and research news, there's something for everyone.
Join your library community! New Yorkers can access millions of books, e-books, digital resources, and more—all FREE with a New York Public Library card.
There are no more late fines at the Library—and all old fines have been removed—so you can borrow books and more from any branch with no worries!
E-Books & Audiobooks
Tell us what you like to read and we’ll handpick a personalized book bundle just for you! Get Shelf Help in open branches, online, or by calling Ask NYPL on 917-ASK-NYPL