The New York Public Library’s mission is rooted in the principles of free and open access to knowledge, information, and all perspectives. As of April 13, 2022, thanks to a partnership with publishers Hachette Book Group, Macmillan Publishers, and Scholastic we welcome readers from across the country to get immediate access to a selection of titles that have been banned or challenged via our free e-reader app, SimplyE—with or without a library card through our Books for All Collection. No waits, no fines.
Read more about why the Library stands behind the importance of making all books available to everyone.
Available Now on SimplyE
- Speak | Laurie Halse Anderson (Square Fish / Macmillan Publishers)
- King and the Dragonflies | Kacen Callender (Scholastic)
- Stamped: Racism, Antiracism, and You | Jason Reynolds and Ibram X. Kendi (Little, Brown Books for Young Readers / Hachette Book Group)
- The Catcher in the Rye | J.D. Salinger (Little, Brown and Company / Hachette Book Group)
Note: Per the Library’s policies on materials accessible to SimplyE users under the age of 13, only King and the Dragonflies is available to those with children’s accounts.
How to Access the Books for All Collection
All of our “unbanned books” will be available starting April 13 through the end of May with no wait times via our free e-reader app, SimplyE, through the Books for All Collection.
- Download SimplyE on any iOS or Android device.
- As soon as you open the app, select Add a Library Later to browse the Books for All Collection.
- Enter your birth year to verify you are 13 or older, and get reading!
- If you already have SimplyE downloaded to your device with a preferred library, select the icon in the top left corner and toggle to the Books for All Collection.
"Knowledge is power; ignorance is dangerous, breeding hate and division. Since their inception, public libraries have worked to combat these forces simply by making all perspectives and ideas accessible to all."
—Tony Marx, President of The New York Public Library
#BooksForAll: Take Action
Show your support! If you believe in #BooksForAll, share on social media or email!
Join your library community! New Yorkers can get free access to millions of books, e-books, digital resources, and more, all with a New York Public Library card.
With millions of books to choose from, our expert librarians have you covered—from our Staff Picks Book Finder to personalized recommendations.
The New York Public Library depends on donors like you to support our essential services. Friends of the Library will be vital as we expand access to our resources, including job help, community outreach, and language learning materials. Make a membership gift now and enjoy benefits all year long.
Sign up for our e-newsletter to get the latest on Library books, events, and more delivered straight to your inbox.