Filming and Photography
The New York Public Library has been a featured setting in many of Hollywood's most famous film and television productions and is a sought-after locale for fashion and editorial photography shoots.
Letter of Intent
A Letter of Intent for all filming and photography requests must be submitted in writing at least 2-3 weeks prior to filming. Please submit to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The NYPL reserves the right to decline involvement in any project and to approve any scene in which the Library is featured.
Requests will only be considered if submitted in writing at least 2-3 weeks prior to the shoot date.
The Letter of Intent must include:
- A synopsis of the film/commercial/TV show/photography shoot.
- A complete breakdown of all shoot specifics, including number of crew members, exact/proposed schedules, requested locations, and equipment to be used.
- For commercial photography, information on the product, client, and storyboard of shoot is required.
- For film and television shoots where the Library is featured as itself the NYPL requires a copy of script pages or storyboard of the scene to be shot at NYPL.
- Any other requests (additional space locations for crew) must be listed in the Letter of Intent.
- A diagram/map documenting the details of the shoot must be included.
- The Edward Clark Potter Lions are registered marks of The New York Public Library. Published with permission. All rights reserved. Licensing agreements and fees apply.
- No equipment, crew, actors, or other materials or damaging elements will be placed or used upon the trademarked Edward Clark Potter Lions in any way.
- No location shoot can endanger the building(s) or interfere with public service. Shoots taking place in a public area of the Library must take place when the Library is closed to the public.
- All facilities guidelines must be read, signed, and followed.
- All shoots are subject to Library approval based on letter of intent, script pages, and storyboard. The Library has the right to refuse any project.
- Any filming on the front steps of the Stephen A. Schwarzman Building at
42nd Street requires permission from Bryant Park. Fees apply. Please visit
www.bryantpark.org for assistance.
- Filming on the sidewalks around the Stephen A. Schwarzman Building at 42nd
Street requires permits from the Mayor's Office of Film, Theater &
Broadcasting. Please visit www.nyc.gov for information.
Fees upon request.
Contracts, insurance, and other requirements apply.
Office of Special Events I 212.930.0730 I email@example.com