- The Shakers [videorecording] / presented by the National Doris Humphrey Society in collaboration with Princeton Book Company, Publishers, Momenta Performing Arts Company, Ernestine Stodelle and Reusch Dance Video ; artistic direction and coaching commentaries by Ernestine Stodelle ; video director, Amy Reusch ; project director, Stephanie Clemens ; choreography by Doris Humphrey (1931), reconstructed by Ernestine Stodelle in 1986.
- Pennington, N.J. : Princeton Book Company, Publishers, c1997.
Items in the Library & Off-site
|Status||Format||Access||Call Number||Item Location|
|Moving image||Use in library||P108||Off-site|
- Additional Authors
- 1 videocassette (91 min.) : sd., col. NTSC; 1/2 in. (VHS)
- Restaging of Doris Humphrey's The Shakers, performed by students at the 5th annual Doris Humphrey Technique Workshop in Oak Park, Ill. Footage from Gail Corbin's preparatory rehearsals with the students provides a detailed breakdown and analysis of the choreography. Ernestine Stodelle's coaching, given after she had viewed a dress rehearsal, is illustrated with still photographs depicting the Shakers' life and arts, and rehearsal and performance excerpts. A full performance of the work concludes the tape. This tape is not intended as a means of learning the choreography, nor as a replacement for the notation score or a coach. All works by Doris Humphrey are copyrighted, and permission to perform them must be obtained from her son Charles Humphrey Woodford.
- Series Statement
- Source experience: enriching the Humphrey legacy.
- A Dance Horizons Video.
- Project made possible by a grant from the National Initiative to Preserve American Dance (NIPAD), a project underwritten by the Pew Charitable Trusts and administered at the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts.
- Credits (note)
- Preparatory coaching, Gail Corbin, assisted by Siobhan Simisky and Karim Simisky ; final coaching, Ernestine Stodelle ; music, traditional ; costumes after original designs by Pauline Lawrence ; lighting, Mike Dutka.
- Event (note)
- Videotaped in rehearsal at the Doris Humphrey Memorial Theater, Academy of Movement and Music, Oak Park, Ill., during the 5th annual Doris Humphrey Technique Workshop, coordinated by the National Doris Humphrey Society in August 1994, and in performance at the Doris Humphrey Memorial Theater on August 6, 1994, at the conclusion of the workshop.
- Owning Institutions
- Princeton University Library