Pastoralism in Africa : past, present and future / edited by Michael Bollig, Michael Schnegg and Hans-Peter Wotzka.
- Pastoralism in Africa : past, present and future / edited by Michael Bollig, Michael Schnegg and Hans-Peter Wotzka.
- New York : Berghahn Books, 2013.
Items in the Library & Off-site
1 Result Found
|Status||Format||Access||Call Number||Item Location|
|Text||Request in advance||GN645 .P185 2013||Off-site|
- Additional Authors
- xviii, 525 p. : ill., maps; 24 cm.
- Bibliography (note)
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Processing Action (note)
- committed to retain
- Introduction: Specialisation and diversification among African pastoral societies / Michael Bollig and Michael Schnegg -- 1. Herders before pastoralism: prehistoric prelude in the eastern Sahara / Rudolph Kuper and Heiko Riemer -- 2. 'I hope your cattle are well': archaeological evidence for early cattle-centred behaviour in the eastern Sahara of Sudan and Chad / Friederike Jesse, Birgit Keding, Tilman Lenssen-Erz and Nadja Pöllath -- 3. Trajectories to pastoralism in northern and central Kenya: an overview of the archaeological and environmental evidence / Paul Lane -- 4. From first stock keepers to specialised pastoralists in the West African savannah / Veerle Linseele -- 5. A short history of early herding in Southern Africa / Karim Sadr -- 6. Establishing a precolonial 'modern' cattle-and-gun society: (re-)pastoralisation, mercantile capitalism and power amongst Herero in nineteenth century central Namibia / Dag Henrichsen -- 7. The emergence of commercial ranching under state control and the encapsulation of pastoralism in African reserves / Christo Botha -- 8. Land, boreholes and fences: the development of commercial livestock farming in the Outjo district, Namibia / Ute Dieckmann -- 9. The political ecology of specialisation and diversification: long-term dynamics of pastoralism in East Pokot District, Kenya / Michael Bollig and Matthias Österle -- 10. Social-ecological change and institutional development in a pastoral community in north-western Namibia / Michael Bollig -- 11. Pastoral belonging: causes and consequences of part-time pastoralism in north-western Namibia / Michael Schnegg, Julia Pauli and Clemens Greiner -- 12. Pastoralism, conflict and state in contemporary eastern Chad: the case of Zaghawa-Tama relationships / Babett Jánszky and Grit Jungstand -- 13. Unofficial trade when states are weak: the case of cross-border livestock trade in the Horn of Africa / Peter D. Little -- 14. Pastoralism and trans-Saharan trade: the transformation of a historical trade route between eastern Chad and Libya / Meike Meerpohl -- 15. Pastoralism and nature conservation in Southern Africa / Susanne Berzborn and Martin Solich -- 16. The indigenisation of pastoral modernity: territoriality, mobility and poverty in dryland Africa / John G. Galaty.
- 9780857459084 (hardback : alk. paper)
- 0857459082 (hardback : alk. paper)
- 9780857459091 (ebook)
- 0857459090 (ebook)
- Owning Institutions
- Harvard Library