Taking food public : redefining foodways in a changing world / edited by Psyche Williams Forson, Carole Counihan.
- Taking food public : redefining foodways in a changing world / edited by Psyche Williams Forson, Carole Counihan.
- New York : Routledge, 2011.
Items in the Library & Offsite
About 1 Item. Still Loading More items...
|Text||Request in advance||Not available||GT2850 .T326 2011||Offsite|
- Additional Authors
- xiv, 635 p. : ill.; 26 cm.
- Bibliography (note)
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Processing Action (note)
- committed to retain
- sect. 1. Rethinking production. Food industrialisation and food power : implications for food governance / Tim Lang -- Women and food chains : the gendered politics of food / Patricia Allen and Carolyn Sachs -- Can we sustain sustainable agriculture? Learning from small-scale producer-suppliers in Canada and the UK / Larch Maxey -- Things became scarce : food availability and accessibility in Santiago de Cuba then and now / Hanna Garth -- Capitalism and its discontents : back-to-the-lander and freegan foodways in rural Oregon / Joan Gross -- Cultural geographies in practice. The south central farm : dilemmas in practicing the public / Laura Lawson -- Charlas culinarias : Mexican women speak from their public kitchens / Meredeith E. Abarca -- sect. 2. Rethinking food consumption. Inequality in obesigenic environments : fast food density in New York City / Naa Oyo A. Kwate... [et al.] --
- Physical disabilities and food access among limited resource households / Caroline B. Webber, Jeffery Sobal, and Jaime S. Dollahite -- Other women cooked for my husband : negotiating gender, food, and identities in an African American/Ghanian household / Psyche Williams-Forson -- Going beyond the normative White "post-racial" Vegan epistemology / A. Breeze Harper -- Purity, soul food, and Sunni Islam : explorations at the intersection of consumption and resistance / Carolyn Rouse and Janet Hoskins -- Cleaning from gluttony : an Australian youth subculture confronts the ethics of waste / Ferne Edwards and David Mercer -- "If they only knew" : color blindness and universalism in California alternative food institutions / Julie Guthman -- sect. 3. Performing food cultures. Feeding desire : food, domesticity, and challenges to hetero-patriarchy / Anita Mannur --
- Towards queering food studies : foodways, heteronormativity, and hungry women in Chicana lesbian writing / Julia C. Ehrhardt -- Metrosexuality can stuff it : beef consumption as (heteromasculine) fortification / C. Wesley Buerkle -- "Please pass the chicken tits" : rethinking men and cooking at an urban firehouse / Jonathan Deutsch -- The magic metabolisms of competitive eating / Adrienne Rose Johnson -- Vintage breast milk : exploring the discursive limits of feminine fluids / Penny Van Esterik -- Do the hands that feed us hold us back? Implications of assisted eating / G. Denise Lance -- Will tweet for food : microblogging mobile food trucks--online, offline, and in line / Alison Caldwell -- Visualizing 21st-century foodscapes : using photographs and new media in food studies / Melissa L. Salazar --
- sect. 4. Food diasporas : taking food global. Justice at a price : regulation and alienation in the global economy / Daniel Reichman -- From the bottom up : the global expansion of Chinese vegetable trade for New York City markets / Valerie Imbruce -- SPAM and fast-food "glocalization" in the Philippines / TY Matejowsky -- The envios of San Pablo Huixtepec, Oaxaca : food, home, and transnationalism / James I. Grieshop -- Consuming interests : water, rum, and Coca-Cola from ritual propitiation to corporate expropriation in Highland Chiapas / June Nash -- Feeding the Jewish soul in the Delta Diaspora / Marcie Cohen Ferris -- Yoruba-Nigerians, cosmopolitan food cultures and identity practices on a London market / Julie Botticello -- Tequila shots / Marie Sarita Gaytan -- The political uses of culture : maize production and the GM corn debates in Mexico / Elizabeth Fitting -- sect. 5. Food activism.
- Practicing food democracy : a pragmatic politics of transformation / Neva Hassanein -- Food, place, and authenticity : local food and the sustainable tourism experience / Rebecca Sims -- Mexicans taking food public : the power of the kitchen in the San Luis Valley / Carole Counihan -- A feminist examination of community kitchens in Peru and Bolivia / Kathleen Schroeder -- Visceral difference : variations in feeling (slow) food / Allison Hayes-Conroy and Jessica Hayes-Conroy -- Expanding access and alternatives : building farmers' markets in low-income communities / Lisa Markowitz -- Vegetarians : uninvited, uncomfortable, or special guests at the table of the alternative food economy? / Carol Morris and James Kirwan -- Advocacy and everyday health activism among persons with Celiac Disease : a comparison of eager, reluctant, and non-activists / Denise Copelton -- The year of eating politically / Chad Lavin --
- From food crisis to food sovereignty : the challenge of social movements / Eric Holt-Giménez.
- 9780415888547 (hardback)
- 0415888549 (hardback)
- 9780415888554 (paperback)
- 0415888557 (paperback)
- Owning Institutions
- Harvard Library