The Latino/a condition : a critical reader / edited by Richard Delgado and Jean Stefancic.
- The Latino/a condition : a critical reader / edited by Richard Delgado and Jean Stefancic.
- New York : New York University Press, c2011.
Items in the Library & Offsite
About 1 Item. Still Loading More items...
|Text||Request in advance||Request||E184.S75 L355 2011||Offsite|
- Additional Authors
- xiii, 633 p.; 26 cm.
- Alternative Title
- Latina condition
- Latino condition
- Bibliography (note)
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Processing Action (note)
- committed to retain
- Welcome to the old world / Earl Shorris -- Hispanics? that's what they call us / Suzanne Oboler -- Chance, context, and choice in the social construction of race / Ian F. Haney López -- Latino/a identity and multi-identity : community and culture / Leslie G. Espinoza -- Building bridges : Latinas and Latinos at the crossroads / Berta Esperanza Hernández-Truyol -- Life in the hyphen / Ilan Stavans -- Re-imagining the Latino/a race / Ángel R. Oquendo -- The question of race / Clara E. Rodriquez -- Gateway to whiteness : the census and hispanic/Latino identity / Gustavo Chacon Mendoza -- Occupied America / Rodolfo Acuña -- The first U.S. Latinos : white wealth and Mexican labor / Joe R. Feagin -- Tracing the trajectories of conquest / Juan F. Perea -- Latinos in the United States : invitation and exile / Gilbert Paul Carrasco -- Greasers go home : Mexican immigration, the 1920s / Rodolfo Acuña -- Ambivalent reception / Wayne A. Cornelius -- No poor need apply / Kevin R. Johnson -- The privatization of immigration control / Robert Koulish -- Puerto Rico and the federal government / Roger Daniels -- The Cuban American exile ideology / Guillermo J. Grenier -- A separate and inferior race / José Luis Morín -- Anglo-Saxons and Mexicans / Reginald Horsman -- "Occupied" Mexico / Ronald Takaki -- Initial contacts : niggers, redskins, and greasers / Arnoldo de León -- "The Mexican problem" / Carey McWilliams -- The Mexican question in the Southwest / Emma Tenayuca and Homer Brooks -- The master narrative of white supremacy in California / Tomás Almaguer -- Are anti-immigrant statements racist or nativist? what difference does it make? / René Galindo and Jami Virgil -- Racial depiction in American law and culture / Richard Delgado and Jean Stefancic -- Hispanic stereotyping / Charles Ramirez Berg -- Imaging Mexican Americans : rationalizing oppression / Joe R. Feagin -- From el bandido to gang member / Mary Romero -- The triple taboo / Richard Delgado -- The war on terrorism and its consequences for Latinas/os / Steven W. Bender -- Latinos, Inc. : the marketing and making of a people / Arlene Dávila -- Repercussions of Latinos' colonized mentality / Laura M. Padilla -- My grandfather's stories and immigration law / Michael A. Olivas -- Storytelling for oppositionists and others / Richard Delgado -- I am Joaquín : Rodolfo "Corky" Gonzales and the retroactive construction of Chicanismo / George Hartley -- Borderlands / Gloria Anzaldúa -- Rodrigo's chronicle / Richard Delgado -- The significance of narrative for outsiders / George A. Martinez -- Narrative, storytelling, and the mantra of intersectionality / Antonia Darder and Rodolfo D. Torres -- Insurgent metaphors / Otto Santa Ana -- The idea of a constitution in the Chicano tradition / Gerald P. López -- Early Chicano activism : zoot suits, sleepy lagoon, and the road to Delano / Rodolfo Acuña -- "Breaking the law" on principle / Michael A. Olivas -- Life in the trenches / Oscar "Zeta" Acosta -- Legal violence and the Chicano movement / Ian F. Haney López -- Is a burrito a sandwich? / Marjorie Florestal -- The work we know so little about / Gerald P. López -- Should good people be prosecutors? / Paul Butler -- The black/white binary paradigm of race / Juan F. Perea -- The black/white binary : how does it work? / Richard Delgado -- Chicano Indianism / Martha Menchaca -- Mexican Americans as a legally cognizable class / Richard Delgado and Vicky Palacios -- Mexican Americans and whiteness / George A. Martinez -- Mexican Americans and the Faustian pact with whiteness / Neil Foley -- Race and erasure : the salience of race to Latinos/as / Ian F. Haney López -- Brown over "other white" : Mexican Americans' litigation strategy in school desegregation lawsuits / Steven H. Wilson -- LULAC and the assimilationist perspective / David G. Gutiérrez -- Melting pot or ring of fire? / Kevin R. Johnson -- Assimilation and demographic replenishment / Mary Waters -- A scholarship boy / Richard Rodriguez -- Masks and acculturation / Margaret E. Montoya -- The Mexican case : the story of the immigrant second generation / Alejandro Portes and Rubén G. Rumbaut -- Harvard homeboy / Ruben Navarrette, Jr. -- Dropping the hyphen? / Tanya Golash-Boza -- Going to school : "two struggles / Julio Cammarota -- Over the rainbow / Neil Foley -- Who counts? Title VII and the Hispanic classification / Alex M. Saragoza, Concepción R. Juarez, Abel Valenzuela, Jr., and Oscar Gonzalez -- Latinegras : desired woment-undesirable mothers, daughters, sisters, and wives / Marta I. Cruz-Janzen -- Mestizaje and the Mexican mestizo self : no hay sangre negra, so there is no blackness / Taunya Lovell Banks -- Inventing race / John D. Skrentny -- Locating Latinos in the field of civil rights : the neoliberal case for radical exclusion / Richard Delgado -- African-Americans, Latinos, and the construction of race : toward an epistemic coalition / George A. Martinez -- Do immigrants take away black jobs? / Kevin R. Johnson and Bill Ong Hing -- Our next race question : the uneasiness between blacks and Latinos / Jorge Klor de Alva, Earl Shorris, and Cornel West -- Mexican gender ideology / Adelaida R. del Castillo -- Latinas and religion : subordination or state of grace? / Laura M. Padilla -- "In the beginning he wouldn't life even a spoon" / Beatriz M. Pesquera -- Domestic violence against Latinas / Jenny Rivera -- Chicano rap : machos y malas mujeres / Pancho McFarland -- Latina sexuality, reproduction, and fertility as threats to the nation / Leo R. Chavez -- Maid in the U.S.A. / Mary Romero -- Three perspectives on workplace harassment of women of color / Maria L. Ontiveros -- What's in a name? retention and loss of the maternal surname / Yvonne M. Cherena Pacheco -- Hold your tongue / James Crawford -- The English language movement / Steven W. Bender -- American languages, cultural pluralism, and official English / Juan F. Perea -- How the García cousins lost their accents / Christopher David Ruiz Cameron -- The law of the noose : a history of Latino lynching and its relation to official English / Richard Delgado -- Hernandez : the wrong message at the wrong time / Miguel A. Méndez -- Attorney as interpreter / Bill Piatt -- Buscando América : why integration and equal protection fail to protect Latinos / Juan F. Perea -- The Latin look and "Walter Cronkite Spanish" / Arlene Dávila.
- 9780814720394 (cl : alk. paper)
- 0814720390 (cl : alk. paper)
- 9780814720400 (pb : alk. paper)
- 0814720404 (pb : alk. paper)
- Owning Institutions
- Harvard Library