I am Hutterite : the fascinating true story of a young woman's journey to reclaim her heritage / Mary-Ann Kirkby ; [foreword by Arvel Gray].
- I am Hutterite : the fascinating true story of a young woman's journey to reclaim her heritage / Mary-Ann Kirkby ; [foreword by Arvel Gray].
- Kirkby, Mary-Ann
- Nashville, Tenn. : Thomas Nelson, c2010.
Items in the Library & Off-site
|Status||Format||Access||Call Number||Item Location|
|Text||Request in advance||F1035.H97 K57 2010||Off-site|
- xxiii, 245 p. : ill., geneal. table; 22 cm.
- From the Publisher: A Fascinating journey into the heart and culture of a reclusive religious community. I Am Hutterite takes readers into the hidden heart of the little-known Hutterite colony in southern Manitoba where author Mary-Ann Kirkby spent her childhood. When she was ten years old her parents packed up their seven children and a handful of possessions and left the security of the colony to start a new life. Overnight they were thrust into a world they didn't understand, a world that did not understand them. Before she left the colony Mary-Ann had never tasted macaroni and cheese or ridden a bike. She had never heard of Walt Disney or rock-and-roll. She was forced to reinvent herself, denying her heritage to fit in with her peers. With great humor, Kirkby describes how she adapted to popular culture; and with raw honesty her family's deep sense of loss for their community. More than a history lesson, I Am Hutterite is a powerful tale of retracing steps and understanding how our beginnings often define us. Controversial and acclaimed by the Hutterite community, Kirkby's book unveils the rich history and traditions of her people, giving us a rare and intimate portrait of an extraordinary way of life.
- Includes "A short history of the Hutterites".
- Includes recipe for Hutterite sucre pie.
- Bibliography (note)
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Processing Action (note)
- committed to retain
- Foreword / Arvel Gray -- Short history of the Hutterites -- Prologue -- 1: He's mine!: Der g"hort Mein! -- 2: Wedding: die hochzeit -- 3: You be the good one: du sei der gute -- 4: Tea bags and sugar lumps -- 5: Renie -- 6: Teacher: die teacherin -- 7: Secret flowerpot -- 8: Running away: weglaufen -- 9: Our year at Dahl's farm -- 10: Rogers' farm -- 11: Place of our own in Plum Coulee/Winkler -- Epilogue -- Afterword -- Acknowledgments -- Family tree -- Hutterisch: Hutterite language glossary -- Bibliography -- Hutterite Sucre pie.
- 9780849948107 (hardcover)
- 084994810X (hardcover)
- Owning Institutions
- Harvard Library