The place at the end of the world : essays from the edge/ Janine Di Giovanni.
- The place at the end of the world : essays from the edge/ Janine Di Giovanni.
- Di Giovanni, Janine, 1961-
- London : Bloomsbury, 2006.
Items in the Library & Off-site
|Status||Format||Access||Call Number||Item Location|
|Text||Use in library||PN4823 .D54 2006||Off-site|
- xi, 414 p. : port; 21 cm.
- From a near-abandoned hospital in Chechnya to bombed-out Tora Bora in Afghanistan, from Saddam Hussein's derelict palace in Baghdad to the inner-city barrios of Kingston, Jamaica, di Giovanni has covered almost every embattled place in the world and the people caught in its midst. Like Myriem, who lives on the West Bank, but can no longer use her farm because it falls on the Israeli side of the security fence; and Sia, one of the child soldiers of Sierra Leone, who talks blithely of shedding her violent past; and Abdul, who was imprisoned by the Taliban at seventeen for not wearing a beard. The pieces collected here begin with Algeria in 1998 and end with Iraq in 2005. They are vivid, raw and impassioned - and they make war terrifyingly real.
- Processing Action (note)
- committed to retain
- Introduction : what she taught me -- 1. After 9/11 -- Iraq -- The last days of Iraq, March, 2003 -- The new Iraq, 2003 -- The fate of Iraqi women, September, 2004 -- The professor from Baghdad, February, 2005 -- Afghanistan -- The place at the end of the world, November, 2001 -- Learning to dance : women after the Taliban, December, 2001 -- The battle of Tora Bora, December, 2001 -- America -- Before the fall : Two Rivers, New Jersey, September, 2002 -- Westbrook, Maine : fallen heroes, August, 2004 -- Israel -- The long wall, November, 2003 -- Arafat's last ride, December, 2003 -- 2. Forgotten wars -- The fall of Grozny, February, 2000 -- Evil things happened here : Samashki, Chechnya, February, 2000 -- Divine injustice : northern Nigeria, June, 2002 -- The battle of Algiers, June, 1998 -- Brother number one : Freetown, Sierra Leone, May, 2000 -- Life and death in East Timor, September, 1999 -- Dead men tell no lies : justice in Jamaica, May, 2001 -- Small voices in Zimbabwe, March, 2002 -- Lotti's war : Abidjan, Ivory Coast, November, 2002 -- Nobody's children : Mogadishu, Somalia, February, 2002 -- Hope wanted : AIDS in India, August, 2004 -- 3. Private wars -- Tough love, December, 2003 -- Goodbye to all that, February, 2004 -- Conclusion -- Luca, rising, December, 2004.
- 0747580367 (pbk.)
- Owning Institutions
- Harvard Library