Clarence Major and his art : portraits of an African American postmodernist / edited by Bernard W. Bell.
- Clarence Major and his art : portraits of an African American postmodernist / edited by Bernard W. Bell.
- Major, Clarence
- Chapel Hill, N.C. : University of North Carolina Press, 2001.
Items in the Library & Off-site
1 Result Found
|Status||Format||Access||Call Number||Item Location|
|Text||Use in library||N6537.M337 A4 2001||Off-site|
- Additional Authors
- Bell, Bernard W.
- 281 p. : ill.; 25 cm.
- Alternative Title
- Portraits of an African American postmodernist
- Criticism, interpretation, etc.
- Bibliography (note)
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Processing Action (note)
- committed to retain
- Introduction: Clarence Major's Transgressive Voice and Double Consciousness as an African American Postmodernist Artist / Bernard W. Bell -- The Slave Trade: View from the Middle Passage -- Inscription for the First Baptist Church as It Comes Out on Saturday to Park -- The General Sense of Self -- Conflict -- The Unfaithful Wife: A New Philosophy -- Private Line -- Motion Picture -- Vietnam -- Author of an Attitude -- Dismal Moment Passing -- My Child -- The Design -- Overbreak -- Excerpt from Dirty Bird Blues -- Excerpt from Such Was the Season -- Excerpt from My Amputations -- Excerpt from Reflex and Bone Structure -- Excerpt from All-Night Visitors -- Necessary Distance: Afterthoughts on Becoming a Writer / Clarence Major -- "I Follow My Eyes": An Interview with Clarence Major / Larry McCaffery and Jerzy Kutnik -- Reading the Painterly Text: Clarence Major's "The Slave Trade: View from the Middle Passage" / Linda Furgerson Selzer -- To Define an Ultimate Dimness: The Poetry of Clarence Major / Nathaniel MacKey -- Clarence Major's Innovative Fiction / Jerome Klinkowitz -- The Double Vision of Clarence Major: Painter and Writer / Lisa C. Roney -- Reflex and Bone Structure: The Black Anti-Detective Novel / Stephen F. Soitos -- Clarence Major's All-Night Visitors: Calibanic Discourse and Black Male Expression / James W. Coleman -- "I Was a Weird Example of Art": My Amputations as Cubist Confession / Stuart Xlawans -- Clarence Major's Homecoming Voice in Such Was the Season / Bernard W. Bell -- Against Commodification: Zuni Culture in Clarence Major's Native American Texts / Steve Hayward -- Clarence Major's Singing Voice(s) / Joe Weixlmann -- Selected Bibliography of Clarence Major's Works.
- 0807825867 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 0807848999 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- Owning Institutions
- Harvard Library