A reporter's Lincoln / Walter B. Stevens ; edited by Michael Burlingame.
- A reporter's Lincoln / Walter B. Stevens ; edited by Michael Burlingame.
- Stevens, Walter B. (Walter Barlow), 1848-1939.
- Lincoln : University of Nebraska Press, c1998.
Items in the Library & Off-site
|Status||Format||Access||Call Number||Item Location|
|Text||Request in advance||E457.15 .S84 1998||Off-site|
- Additional Authors
- Burlingame, Michael, 1941-
- xviii, 305 p.; 23 cm.
- A reproduction of materials published by the Missouri Historical Society in 1916 supplemented by articles that were either omitted or only partially reproduced at that time. The author interviewed many people who had known Abraham Lincoln and these little-known accounts flesh out the Lincoln record, particularly about the Lincoln-Douglas debates and interesting testimony on Mary Todd Lincoln and Lincoln family traditions.
- "A Bison original"--P. 4 of cover.
- Bibliography (note)
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Processing Action (note)
- committed to retain
- Pt. I. A Reporter's Lincoln. They Knew Lincoln. Growing Days at New Salem. Giants in Those Days. How He Broke the Quorum. The Duel He Didn't Fight. Duff Armstrong and the "Almanac" Brand of Whiskey Grant Drank. Captain Henry King's Experience. The "New Party" of the Fifties. A Drink and a Sunrise. The Eighth Circuit. The Bloomington Convention. Lawyer, Philosopher, Statesman. Wells H. Blodgett's Experience. A Land Case. The "Lost Speech" When He was Just "Bob's Father" They Heard the Final Debate. Impressions Made on J. S. Ewing. How Jesse W. Fell Started the Debaters. How the News Came. The Lincoln Scrapbooks. President McKinley's Lincoln Story. How He Studied German. He Established Standard Gauge. The Bowl of Custard. Albert Blair's Three Vivid Impressions. The Friend of the Boys. The Bixby Collection. Robert Lincoln in Two Crises. The Courtship and Home Life -- Pt. 2. Supplementary Material from the St. Louis Globe-Democrat. William T. Baker. Orville F. Berry. Francis E. Brownell. Martin L. Bundy. Stephen R. Capps. John Carmody. Augustus H. Chapman. Jonathan H. Cheney. Enos Clarke. James D. Conner. Shelby M. Cullon. George T. M. Davis. Thomas Dowling. Mrs. Benjamin S. Edwards. Orlando B. Ficklin. William Fisher. Mrs. Annie C. Fox. Thomas Goodwin. Dennis Hanks. John B. Henderson. J. F. Humphreys. James T. Jones. Lyman Lacey. Edward F. Leonard. Thomas J. Lincoln. Mrs. James Judson Lord. Robert W. McClaughry. Thompson Ware McNeely. Henry Guest McPike. John F. Mendonsa. Joseph B. Messick. Ezra M. Prince. Addison G. Proctor. John W. Proctor. Owen T. Reeves. James P. Root. Henry M. Russell. Benjamin F. Shaw. John Quincy Spears. Adlai E. Stevenson. J. G. Stewart. Charles Church Tyler. Theophilus Van Deren. App. 1. Mrs. Benjamin S. Edwards's Recollections of Abraham Lincoln and Mary Todd -- App. 2. The Accuracy of Newspaper Accounts of the 1858 Lincoln-Douglas Debates -- App. 3. Lincoln's Meeting with the Missouri Radicals, September 30, 1863.
- 0803292538 (pa)
- Owning Institutions
- Harvard Library