Fidel's Cuba : a revolution in pictures / Osvaldo Salas, Roberto Salas, photographers ; Jon Lee Anderson, foreward ; Gregory Tozian, writer ; Doug Smith, Ted Anderson, editors.
- Fidel's Cuba : a revolution in pictures / Osvaldo Salas, Roberto Salas, photographers ; Jon Lee Anderson, foreward ; Gregory Tozian, writer ; Doug Smith, Ted Anderson, editors.
- Salas, Osvaldo, 1914-1992.
- New York, NY : Thunder's Mouth Press ; Hillsboro, Or. : Beyond Words Pub. ; Los Angeles, Calif. : Distributed to the book trade by Publishers Group West, c1998.
Items in the Library & Off-site
|Status||Format||Access||Call Number||Item Location|
|Text||Request in advance||F1788 .S323 1998x||Off-site|
- Additional Authors
- 175 p. : ill.; 30 cm.
- Fidel's Cuba: A Revolution in Pictures reexamines Fidel Castro's storybook victory on its fortieth anniversary with black-and-white portraits of unforgettable power. Through the lenses of Osvaldo and Roberto Salas, Fidel's hand-picked photographers, the rich tapestry of the Revolution, its remarkable characters and events, is chronicled with an insider's closeness and a humanity unrivaled by any other book on Cuba. Over one hundred pictures - never before published in the United States - follow Castro from his early, clean-shaven days of raising money in Manhattan for the Revolution to the rugged Sierra Maestra mountains where he led his famed revolt with Che Guevara.
- Here is the infamous Bay of Pigs invasion in startling images of destruction; Ernest Hemingway and Fidel in their only meeting; and the proud faces of the Cubans, laboring in sugarcane fields and factories by day and in the throes of nocturnal ecstasy in Santeria rituals and all-night music festivals in the streets of Havana. Roberto Salas's reminiscences serve as extended captions for each photograph, taking readers up treacherous mountain passes with the revolutionaries, through cigar-smoke-filled back rooms with Fidel and Che, and onto the crisis-charged floor of the United Nations Assembly.
- Alternative Title
- Pictorial works
- Processing Action (note)
- committed to retain
- Foreword / Jon Lee Anderson -- The Cuban Revolution in Pictures: an introduction / Gregory Tozian -- Before the Revolution: Castro in America: New York, 1955 -- Victory over Batista: January 1, 1959: the real revolution begins -- Castro, the Man: on pitcher's mound, with Papa Hemingway, in the pulpit, with the people -- Che Guevara: the revolutionary as cult figure -- The Bay of Pigs and the Cold War: Cuba versus the free world -- Cuba: The Land and the People: the faces of those who endure -- A Cuban Chronology.
- Owning Institutions
- Harvard Library