Oedipus Rex ; The rake's progress / Igor Stravinsky.
- Oedipus Rex ; The rake's progress / Igor Stravinsky.
- Stravinsky, Igor, 1882-1971
- London : John Calder ; New York : Riverrun Press, 1991.
Items in the Library & Off-site
|Status||Format||Access||Call Number||Item Location|
|Text||Request in advance||Mus 585.472||Off-site|
- Additional Authors
- 112 p. : ill.; 22 cm.
- Stravinsky's genius for the stage is here represented by two very different works. "Oedipus Rex" is the fruit of a collaboration with Jean Cocteau, in which the tragedy of Sophocles is pared down to make an opera-oratorio. This guide explores the ways in which this is achieved, and analyses the score. It also surveys the composition period of "The Rake's Progress", examining the contributions of the different collaborators. The Latin text and English translation is included for "Oedipus Rex", and the English libretto for "The Rake's Progress."
- Series Statement
- Opera guide ; 43
- Uniform Title
- Oedipus Rex. Libretto. Polyglot
- Opera guide 43.
- Alternative Title
- Oedipus Rex.
- Rake's progress.
- Librettos of the operas with accompanying essays.
- Libretto of 1st work by Jean Cocteau; vocal portions in Latin with English translation, narration in French with English translation. Libretto of 2nd work by W.H. Auden and Chester Kallman.
- Bibliography (note)
- Includes discography (p. 110) and bibliographical references (p. 111).
- Processing Action (note)
- committed to retain
- The person of Fate and the fate of the person: Stravinsky's 'Oedipus rex' / David Nice -- 'Oedipus Rex': a personal view / Judith Weir -- On an oratorio / Jean Cocteau -- Thematic guide -- 'Oedipus Rex' libretto in English and Latin -- Making a libretto: three collaboration over 'The Rake's progress' / Roger Savage -- The new and the classical in 'The Rake's progress' / Brian Trowel -- Thematic guide -- The Rake's progress' libretto -- The prologue for the 1958 BBC television broadcast / W. H. Auden and Chester Kallman -- Discography / David Nice -- Bibliography.
- 0714541931 :
- Owning Institutions
- Harvard Library