What happened when he went to the store for bread : poems / by Alden Nowlan ; chosen and introduced by Thomas R. Smith ; foreword by Robert Bly.
- What happened when he went to the store for bread : poems / by Alden Nowlan ; chosen and introduced by Thomas R. Smith ; foreword by Robert Bly.
- Nowlan, Alden
- Saint Paul, Minn. : Nineties Press : Distributed by Aly Press Center, c1993.
Items in the Library & Off-site
|Status||Format||Access||Call Number||Item Location|
|Text||Request in advance||PR9199.3.N6 W43 1993||Off-site|
- Additional Authors
- Smith, Thomas r.
- 156 p. : ill.; 22 cm.
- Canadian poetry > 20th century
- Bibliography (note)
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 155).
- Processing Action (note)
- committed to retain
- Foreword: This moment of suffering and confusion / by Robert Bly -- Introduction: In praise of Alden Nowlan / by Thomas R. Smith -- [pt. 1]. The bull moose : [poems from The rose and the puritan; A darkness in the earth; Wind in a rocky country; Under the ice; The things which are; Five New Brunswick poets] -- Beginning -- The white goddess -- Hens -- Weakness -- Flossie at school -- Atlantis -- Marian at the Pentecostal meeting -- Summer -- God sour the milk of the knacking wench -- Gypsies -- Cousins -- My father -- Baptism -- Sunday afternoon -- Homebrew -- Andy Shaw -- Warren Pryor -- Christ -- St. John River -- The mark -- Party at Bannon Brook -- The bull moose -- The shack dwellers -- Stoney Ridge dance hall -- The grove beyond the barley -- The execution -- Edna -- Sometimes -- Love poem to Therese -- Waiting for her -- Canadian love song -- [pt. 2]. Glance down at things that have fallen : [poems from Bread, wine and salt; Playing the Jesus game; The mysterious naked man; Between tears and laughter] -- I, Icarus -- Midnight of the first snow -- And he wept aloud, so that the Egyptians heard it -- Britain Street -- In those old wars -- In our time -- On hearing of the death of Dr. William Carlos Williams -- A mug's game -- The knife -- The word -- Day's end -- Five days in hospital -- In the operting roon -- Escape from Eden -- Confession -- Witness to murder -- Golf -- The dog returned from the woods -- The people who are gone -- The fat man's poem -- For Jamil Baroody -- Afterword to Genesis -- A mime for lovers -- A tiger in the Dublin Zoo -- Poem for George Frederick Clarke -- Cornflowers -- He raids the refrigerator and reflects on parenthood -- The night editor's poem -- Excerpt from That year on Salisbury Street -- He takes his leave -- [pt. 3]. Meeting the eye of anybody : [poems from I'm a stranger here myself; Smoked glass; I might not tell everybody this] -- Stars -- The palomino stallion -- The road to the border -- In the shopping center -- The rites of manhood -- The jelly bean man -- Question period -- In praise of the great bull walrus -- The night of the party -- A very common prescription -- Full circle -- On the barrens -- Excerpt from What color is Manitoba? -- In the blood -- Curious encounters -- It's good to be here -- My beard, once lionheart red -- What happened when he went to the store for bread -- The seasick sailor, and others -- A night in 1938, and the night after -- The practice of mercy -- There is a horrible wing to the hotel -- Star light, star bright -- The war lost -- A white book lies open -- Only when my heart freezes -- Subway psalm -- Great things have happened -- The perfectibility man -- The thief -- How beautiful art thy feet with shoes -- Bobby Sands -- He sits down on the floor of a school for the retarded -- Bibliography -- Afterword: "My family was poor" : thinking about Alden Nowlan and class / by Thomas R. Smith.
- 1883070007 :
- Owning Institutions
- Harvard Library