California: for health, pleasure, and residence. A book for travellers and settlers. By Charles Nordhoff.
- California: for health, pleasure, and residence. A book for travellers and settlers. By Charles Nordhoff.
- Nordhoff, Charles, 1830-1901.
- New York, Harper, 1873.
Items in the Library & Offsite
About 1 Item. Still Loading More items...
|Text||Request in advance||Request||US 38238.72.7||Offsite|
- 2 p. ℓ., -255 p. incl. illus., pl., maps. front. (map)
- Alternative Title
- California, a book for travellers and settlers
- Microfilm. Ann Arbor, Mich., University Microfilms (n.d.) (American Culture Series, Reel 84.7)
- Processing Action (note)
- committed to retain
- The way out -- Sights by the way -- Salt Lake City -- The Central Pacific Railroad -- The tourist in California -- what to see, and how to see it -- The great sights of California -- hints to travellers -- "John" -- Gold-mining, with a decayed mining town -- Southern California for invalids -- The agricultural wealth of California -- a general view -- The Agricultural lands of California -- hints to settlers -- A January day in Los Angeles -- Farming in San Bernardino -- An old Californian rancho -- The Indians as laborers -- The Coast counties in February -- Semi-tropical fruits in Southern California -- Anaheim -- a successful colony -- with hints for other colonists -- Wheat farming in the San Joaquin Valley -- The Chinese as railroad builders -- a great stock-farmer -- The Tulare Lake -- cheap farms for the million -- Co-operative farming -- how irrigating ditches are made -- Beet sugar, silk, etc. -- Wine-growing in California -- some estimates of cost -- raisins -- A golden valley -- Sheep farming -- with a night around a camp-fire -- A California cattle rancho -- a rodeo -- peculiar customs of the Spanish Californians -- Southern California for consumptives -- Tables of temperature in Clarens (Switzerland), Aiken (Georgia) and San Bernardino and Anaheim (California) -- Latest improvements in the Yosemite Route.
- Owning Institutions
- Harvard Library