Food chains : from farmyard to shopping cart / edited by Warren Belasco and Roger Horowitz.
- Food chains : from farmyard to shopping cart / edited by Warren Belasco and Roger Horowitz.
- Philadelphia : University of Pennsylvania Press, c2009.
Items in the Library & Offsite
About 1 Item. Still Loading More items...
|Text||Request in advance||Request||HD9000.5 .F5938 2009||Offsite|
- Additional Authors
- 296 p. : ill.; 24 cm.
- Series Statement
- Hagley perspectives on business and culture
- Uniform Title
- Hagley perspectives on business and culture.
- Alternative Title
- From farmyard to shopping cart
- Bibliography (note)
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -294).
- 1. Making food chains : the book / Roger Horowitz -- 2. How much depends on dinner? / Warren Belasco -- 3. Analyzing commodity chains : linkages or restraints? / Shane Hamilton -- 4. Lard to lean : making the meat-type hog in post-World War II America / J. L. Anderson -- 5. The chicken, the factory farm, and the supermarket : the emergence of the modern poultry industry in Britain / Andrew C. Godley and Bridget Williams -- 6. Trading quality, producing value : crabmeat, HACCP, and global seafood trade / Kelly Feltault -- 7. Anchovy sauce and pickled tripe : exporting civilized food in the colonial Atlantic world / Richard R. Wilk -- 8. What's left at the bottom of the glass : the quest for purity and the development of the American natural ice industry / Jonathan Rees -- 9. Provisioning man's best friend : the early years of the American pet food industry, 1870-1942 / Katherine C. Grier -- 10. Empire of ice cream : how life became sweeter in the postwar Soviet Union / Jenny Leigh Smith -- 11. Eating Mexican in a global age : the politics and production of ethnic food / Jeffrey M. Pilcher -- 12. The aristocracy of the market basket : self-service food shopping in the new South / Lisa C. Tolbert -- 13. Making markets Marxist? : the East European grocery store from rationing to rationality to rationalizations / Patrick Hyder Patterson -- 14. Tools and spaces : food and cooking in working-class neighborhoods, 1880-1930 / Katherine Leonard Turner -- 15. Wheeling one's groceries around the store : the invention of the shopping cart, 1936-1953 / Catherine Grandclement.
- 9780812241280 (alk. paper)
- 0812241282 (alk. paper)
- Owning Institutions
- Columbia University Libraries