Toward the winter solstice : new poems
- Toward the winter solstice : new poems / Timothy Steele.
- Steele, Timothy.
- Athens, Ohio : Swallow Press/Ohio University Press, , ©2006.
Items in the Library & Off-site
|Status||Format||Access||Call Number||Item Location|
|Text||Request in advance||PS3569.T33845 T69 2006||Off-site|
- viii, 61 pages; 23 cm
- "Toward the Winter Solstice, Timothy Steele's first collection of new poems in twelve years, features his characteristic grace, wit, and power, while extending his range. In addition to the relatively short lyrical, descriptive, and contemplative poems he has always written so well, this collection offers several middle-length pieces that read almost like compressed novels. Addressing a variety of topics and themes, Toward the Winter Solstice explores the relationship between the world of nature and the world of ideas. In one way or another, the poems attempt to link the external material universe with that sense of inward self-awareness central to our experience of life."--BOOK JACKET.
- Daybreak Benedict Canyon -- Joanna, wading -- Freudian analysis -- Fountain in the city -- In the Italian alps -- In the Memphis airport -- Jardin des Tuileries -- Siglo de Oro -- April 27, 1937 -- Herb garden -- The swing -- Anima -- Didelphis Virginiana -- Sepulveda Basin mallards -- Yellow birches -- Champlain evening -- Snow -- Toward the winter solstice -- Gym nights -- Ethel Taylor -- Vermont transit -- Henry and Elvis -- A muse -- Faustina -- Sad epigrams -- At the Chautauqua Channel -- In a eucalyptus grove -- Black Phoebe -- The middle years -- For Victoria, traveling in Europe -- Swimming in winter -- August -- The sweet peas -- The faithful widower -- Starr Farm beach.
- 0804010900 (acid-free paper)
- 0804010919 (pbk. : acid-free paper)
- Owning Institutions
- Columbia University Libraries