Beverages in nutrition and health
- Beverages in nutrition and health / edited by Ted Wilson and Norman J. Temple ; foreword by David R. Jacobs, Jr.
- Totowa, N.J. : Humana Press, , ©2004.
- Supplementary Content
- Book review (E-STREAMS)
Items in the Library & Off-site
About 1 Item. Still Loading More items...
|Status||Format||Access||Call Number||Item Location|
|Text||Request in advance||QP144.B48 B48 2004||Off-site|
- Additional Authors
- xx, 427 pages : illustrations; 26 cm.
- Series Statement
- Nutrition and health
- Uniform Title
- Nutrition and health (Totowa, N.J.)
- Bibliography (note)
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- 1. A Brief History of Human Beverage Consumption: Prehistory to the Present / Louis E. Grivetti and Ted Wilson -- 2. What Are the Health Implications of Alcohol Consumption? / Eric Rimm and Norman J. Temple -- 3. The French Paradox: Mechanisms of Action of Nonalcoholic Wine Components on Cardiovascular Disease / Rosemary L. Walzem and J. Bruce German -- 4. Cranberry Juice Effects on Health / Ted Wilson -- 5. Health Benefits of Citrus Juices / Carla R. McGill, Alissa M. R. Wilson and Yanni Papanikolaou -- 6. Orange Juice: Are the Health Benefits of Oranges Lost During Processing? / Carol S. Johnston -- 7. How Can the Consumption of Grapefruit Juice and Other Beverages Affect Drug Action? / Garvan C. Kane -- 8. Tomato-Based Beverages: Implications for the Prevention of Cancer and Cardiovascular Disease / Craig W. Hadley, Steven J. Schwartz and Steven K. Clinton -- 9. Coffee Consumption and the Risk of Cancer and Coronary Heart Disease / Alessandra Tavani and Carla La Vecchia -- 10. Health Benefits of Tea Consumption / Farrukh Afaq, Vaqar M. Adhami, Nihal Ahmad and Hasan Mukhtar -- 11. Effect of Cocoa and Chocolate Beverage Consumption on Human Cardiovascular Health / Harold H. Schmitz, Mark A. Kelm and John F. Hammerstone -- 12. Caffeine and Health / Bennett Alan Weinberg and Bonnie K. Bealer -- 13. The Therapeutic Use and Safety of Common Herbal Beverages / Winston J. Craig -- 14. Effect of Cow's Milk on Human Health / Lois D. McBean, Gregory D. Miller and Robert P. Heaney -- 15. Are Soy-Milk Products Viable Alternatives to Cow's Milk? / Jayne V. Woodside and Michael S. Morton -- 16. Human Milk and Infant Formula: Nutritional Content and Health Benefits / James K. Friel -- 17. Inclusion of Probiotics in Beverages: Can It Lead to Improved Health? / Knut J. Heller -- 18. Beverages, Appetite, and Energy Balance / James Stubbs and Stephen Whybrow -- 19. Nutritional Support Beverages in the Treatment of Malnutrition of the Elderly / Carrie Johnsen and Peter Glassman -- 20. Sports Beverages for Optimizing Physical Performance / Ron J. Maughan -- 21. Improving the Effectiveness of Oral Rehydration Therapies / B. S. Ramakrishna -- 22. The Nutritional Value of Bottled Water / Shelina M. Jamal and Mark J. Eisenberg -- 23. Tap Water and the Risk of Microbial Infection / Christian Chauret -- 24. Liquid Candy: How Soft Drinks Harm the Health of Americans / Michael F. Jacobson -- 25. Marketing Soft Drinks to Children and Young Adults / Audrey Balay-Karperien, Norman J. Temple and Marion Nestle -- 26. The Japanese Nutritional Health Beverage Market / Kohji Ohki, Yasunori Nakamura and Toshiaki Takano -- 27. Labeling Requirements for Beverages in the United States / Leslie T. Krasny -- 28. Refining Beverage Nutrition to Provide Healthy Lives and Responsible Markets / David R. Jacobs, Jr., Norman J. Temple and Ted Wilson.
- 1588291731 (alk. paper)
- 1592594158 (e-ISBN)
- Owning Institutions
- Columbia University Libraries