Bird hormones and bird migrations : analyzing hormones in droppings and egg-yolks and assessing adaptations in the long-distance migration
- Bird hormones and bird migrations : analyzing hormones in droppings and egg-yolks and assessing adaptations in the long-distance migration / edited by Ulf Bauchinger, Wolfgang Goymann, and Susanne Jenni-Eiermann.
- New York, N.Y. : New York Academy of Sciences, 2005.
Items in the Library & Off-site
About 1 Item. Still Loading More items...
|Status||Format||Access||Call Number||Item Location|
|Text||Request in advance||Q11 .N42 v.1046||Off-site|
- Additional Authors
- x, 295 pages : illustrations, maps; 24 cm.
- Series Statement
- Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences ; v. 1046
- Uniform Title
- Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences ; v. 1046.
- Papers from a technical meeting on the analysis of hormones in droppings and egg yolk of birds, and a workshop on bird migration.
- Bibliography (note)
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Additional Formats (note)
- Also available via the World Wide Web.
- Two workshops in ornithology: a general introduction. Dedication to Eberhard Gwinner / by Ulf Bauchinger and Wolfgang Goymann -- Measurement of hormones from droppings and egg yolks of birds. Introduction to the European Science Foundation Technical Meeting: analysis of hormones in droppings and egg yolk of birds / by Wolfgang Goymann and Susanne Jenni-Eiermann. Potential impact of nutritional strategy on noninvasive measurements of hormones in birds / by Kirk C. Klasing. Measurement of corticosterone metabolites in birds' droppings: an analytical approach / by Erich Möstl, Sophie Rettenbacher, and Rupert Palme. Noninvasive monitoring of hormones in bird droppings: physiological validation, sampling, extraction, sex differences, and the influence of diet on hormone metabolite levels / by Wolfgang Goymann. Measuring fecal steroids: guidelines for practical application / by Rupert Palme. A noninvasive technique to evaluate human-generated stress in the black grouse / by Mariana Baltic ... [et al.] Measuring corticosterone metabolites in droppings of capercaillies (Tetrao urogallus) / by Dominik Thiel, Susanne Jenni-Eiermann, and Rupert Palme. Noninvasive measures of reproductive function and disturbance in the barred owl, great horned owl, and northern spotted owl / by Samuel K. Wasser and Kathleen Hunt. Synthesis of measuring steroid metabolites in goose feces / by Katharina Hirschenhauser, Kurt Kotrschal, and Erich Möstl. Sampling effort/frequency necessary to infer individual acute stress responses from fecal analysis in greylag geese (Anser anser) / by Isabella B.R. Scheiber, Simona Kralj, and Kurt Kotrschal. Investigating maternal hormones in avian eggs: measurement, manipulation, and interpretation / by Ton G.G. Groothuis and Nikolaus von Engelhardt. Measuring steroid hormones in avian eggs / by Nikolaus von Engelhardt and Ton G.G. Groothuis. Corticosterone in chicken eggs / by S. Rettenbacher ... [et al.] Steroids in allantoic waste: an integrated measure of steroid exposure in ovo / by Z Morgan Benowitz-Fredericks, Alexander S. Kitaysky, and John C. Wingfield -- Optimality in bird migration: adaptations for long-distance migration in birds? The search for adaptive syndromes. Are there specific adaptations for long-distance migration in birds? The search for adaptive syndromes: outline of the European Science Foundation Workshop / by Ulf Bauchinger, Christiaan Both, and Theunis Piersma. Flexible seasonal timing and migratory behavior: results from stonechat breeding programs / by Barbara Helm, Eberhard Gwinner, and Lisa Trost. Are long-distance migrants constrained in their evolutionary response to environmental change? Causes of variation in the timing of autumn migration in a blackcap (S. atricapilla) and in two garden warbler (Sylvia borin) populations / by Francisco Pulido and Michael Widmer. Spatial behavior of medium and long-distance migrants at stopovers studied by radio tracking / by Nikita Chernetsov. Ecomorphology of the external flight apparatus of blackcaps (Sylvia atricapilla) with different migration behavior / by Wolfgang Fiedler. Melatonin and nocturnal migraion / by Leonida Fusani and Eberhard Gwinner. Phenotypic flexibility of skeletal muscles during long-distance migration of garden warblers: muscle changes are differentially related to body mass / by Ulf Bauchinger and Herbert Biebach. Is there a "migratory syndrome" common to all migrant birds? / by Theunis Piersma ... [et al.]
- 1573315761 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 157331577X (pbk. : alk. paper)
- Owning Institutions
- Columbia University Libraries