From haven to home : 350 years of Jewish life in America
- From haven to home : 350 years of Jewish life in America / editor, Michael W. Grunberger ; contributors, Hasia Diner [and others].
- New York : George Braziller in association with the Library of Congress, 2004.
- Supplementary Content
- Table of contents
Items in the Library & Off-site
|Status||Format||Access||Call Number||Item Location|
|Text||Request in advance||E184.35 .F76 2004||Off-site|
- Additional Authors
- 243 pages : illustrations (some color); 31 cm
- "The year 2004 marks the 350th anniversary of the first Jewish settlement in America. From Haven to Home celebrates this important occasion by bringing together an eminent group of historians who take stock of American Jewish life, from the arrival of the first small group in Manhattan in 1654 to the present." "The essays are amply illustrated with items from the vast Judaica Americana collections of the Library of Congress, among them letters from presidents Washington and Jefferson to prominent leaders of the American Jewish community, the first Hebrew Bible printed in America, and the first American Yiddish cookbook, as well as selections of photographs, prints, diaries, maps, and sheet music." "In telling the story of diverse groups of Jewish immigrants, who over the centuries made the United States their home, From Haven to Home examines the intertwined themes, and sometimes conflicting aims, of accommodation, assertion, adaption, and acculturation that have characterized the American Jewish experience from its beginnings in 1654 to the present day."--BOOK JACKET.
- United States > Ethnic relations
- Judaism > United States > History
- United States > History > Civil War, 1861-1865 > Jews
- Jews > United States > Politics and government
- Jews > United States > History
- Antisemitism > United States > History
- Jews in public life > United States
- Jews > United States > Emigration and immigration
- Bibliography (note)
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 230-236) and index.
- Additional Formats (note)
- Also available in digital form on the Library of Congress Web site.
- Preface / James H. Billington -- Foreword / Gary P. Zola -- Introduction / Michael W. Grunberger -- Prologue to American Jewish history : the Jews of America from 1654 to 1820 / Eli Faber -- The war between Jewish brothers in America / Eli N. Evans -- A century of migration, 1820-1924 / Hasia Diner -- The crucial decades / Deborah Dash Moore -- American Jewry since 1945 / Jack Wertheimer -- American Judaism / Jonathan D. Sarna -- America's Jewish women / Pamela S. Nadell -- A history of American anti-semitism / Leonard Dinnerstein -- American Jews and politics / Stephen J. Whitfield -- American Jewish popular culture / Jeffrey Shandler -- Suggested readings in American Jewish history / Peggy K. Pearlstein.
- 0807615374 (hardback)
- Owning Institutions
- Columbia University Libraries