Conference papers / Second Carnegie Inquiry into Poverty and Development in Southern Africa.
- Conference papers / Second Carnegie Inquiry into Poverty and Development in Southern Africa.
- Carnegie Inquiry into Poverty and Development in Southern Africa (2nd : 1984 : Cape Town, South Africa)
- Cape Town : SALDRU, 
Items in the Library & Off-site
About 31 Items. Still Loading More items...
|Status||Format||Access||Call Number||Item Location|
|Text||Request in advance||HC905 .C37 1984g no.1-10:a-e||Off-site|
|Text||Request in advance||HC905 .C37 1984g no.100-108||Off-site|
|Text||Request in advance||HC905 .C37 1984g no.11-20||Off-site|
|Text||Request in advance||HC905 .C37 1984g no.110-119||Off-site|
|Text||Request in advance||HC905 .C37 1984g no.120-129||Off-site|
|Text||Request in advance||HC905 .C37 1984g no.130-135, no.137-139||Off-site|
|Text||Request in advance||HC905 .C37 1984g no.140-149||Off-site|
|Text||Request in advance||HC905 .C37 1984g no.150-152, no.154-159||Off-site|
|Text||Request in advance||HC905 .C37 1984g no.160-169||Off-site|
|Text||Request in advance||HC905 .C37 1984g no.170-173:a-b, no.174-179||Off-site|
|Text||Request in advance||HC905 .C37 1984g no.180-181, no.183-189||Off-site|
|Text||Request in advance||HC905 .C37 1984g no.190-199||Off-site|
|Text||Request in advance||HC905 .C37 1984g no.200-201, no.205-209||Off-site|
|Text||Request in advance||HC905 .C37 1984g no.21-23, no.25-30||Off-site|
|Text||Request in advance||HC905 .C37 1984g no.210, no.213-219||Off-site|
|Text||Request in advance||HC905 .C37 1984g no.220-229||Off-site|
|Text||Request in advance||HC905 .C37 1984g no.230-232, no.234-237, no.239||Off-site|
|Text||Request in advance||HC905 .C37 1984g no.240-248||Off-site|
|Text||Request in advance||HC905 .C37 1984g no.250-259||Off-site|
|Text||Request in advance||HC905 .C37 1984g no.260-269||Off-site|
- Additional Authors
- University of Cape Town. Southern Africa Labour and Development Research Unit.
- volumes; 21 cm.
- Series Statement
- Carnegie Conference paper ; no. 1-311
- Uniform Title
- Carnegie Conference paper ; no. 1-311.
- Conference papers and proceedings.
- Cover title.
- Bibliography (note)
- Includes bibliographical references.
- no. 1: Worst of times : a migrant worker's autobiography / N. Chabani Manganyi (18 p.) -- no. 2: Major problems as perceived by the community / C.N Ntoane (24 p.) -- no. 3: Measuring poverty in rich and poor countries / Wilfred Beckerman (18 p.) -- no. 4: Dimensions of poverty / G.F.R Ellis (24 p.) -- no. 5: Men without children / Pamela F Reynolds (44 p.) -- no. 6: Poverty and quality of life among blacks in South Africa / Valerie Møller (34 p.) -- no. 7: What has been happening to income distribution and poverty in the homelands? / Charles Simkins (17 p.) -- no. 8: Basic needs : some unsettled questions / Paul Streeten (15 p.) -- no. 9: Thoughts on planning for basic needs in South Africa / Stephen Tollman (19 p.) -- no. 10a: Area study of Cape Town : profile of Nyanga / Dinga Sikwebu (18 p.) -- no. 10b: Area study of Cape Town : Vrygrond and Lavender Hill / W Naidoo (39 p.) -- no. 10c: Area study of Cape Town : Elsies River / Pieter Jansen (39 p.) -- no. 10d: Area study of Cape Town : 'a streetless wasteland' : a preliminary report on Ocean View / D Maralack (50 p.) -- no. 10e: Area study of Cape Town : profile of Philippi / Lucy Edwards (24 p.) -- no. 11: History of vagrancy in Cape Town / B.H Kinkead-Weekes (29 p.) -- no. 12: Poverty experienced by black (African) residents of Cape Town : the views of some social workers / Di Bishop (31 p.) -- no. 13: Spatial variations in the levels of living in the Cape metropolitan area / N Riley (32 p.) -- no. 14: Exploratory study of overcrowding and health issues at Old Crossroads / G Hewatt (67 p.) -- no. 15: Community in bondage : a case study / M.M Gonsalves (17 p.) -- no. 16: Description of income, expenditure and earning patterns from households in Cape Town and Durban / Jane Prinsloo (68 p.).
- no. 17: Socio-economic status of selected communities in the Durban metropolitian area / Vish Suparsad (48 p.) -- no. 18: Poverty in the Pretoria-Witwatersrand-Vereeniging area : a survey of research / P.N Pillay (44 p.) -- no. 19: Alexandra : an analysis of socio-economic conditions in an urban ghetto / P.N Pillay (43 p.) -- no. 20: Reproduction of labour power and the struggle for survival in Soweto / David Webster (13 p.) -- no. 21: Poverty in Port Elizabeth / Caroline White (18 p.) -- no. 22: End of apartheid? : some dimensions of urban poverty in Windhoek / David Simon (31 p.) -- no. 23: Agriculture and technology : four case studies / Debbie Budlender (26 p.) -- no. 25: African population, employment and incomes on farms outside the reserves, 1923-1969 / Charles Simkins (24 p.) -- no. 26: Mechanisation and labour on white farms : a statistical analysis / Debbie Budlender (31 p.) -- no. 27: Mechanizing farming : implications for employment, incomes and population distribution / Michael De Klerk (25 p.) -- no. 28: Incomes of farm workers and their families : a study of maize farms in the Western Transvaal / Michael De Klerk (68 p.) -- no. 29: Conditions on eight farms in Middelberg, Eastern Transvaal / Mandla L Seleoane (46 p.) -- no. 30: Migration from farms to towns and its implications for urban adaptation / C.W Manona (27 p.) -- no. 31: Vulnerability, isolation and apartheid : a case study of Port Nolloth / Martin West (23 p.) -- no. 32: Study of poverty among the 'coloured' community : a general analysis and a case study of Worcester / Jeff Yosslowitz (101 p.) -- no. 33: Life among the poor in Philipstown / Mary-Jane Morifi (30 p.) -- no. 34: Hanover : a profile of poverty on the Eiselen line / Sean Archer (65 p.) -- no. 35: Beaufort West has many windmills : a look at poverty in the town and district of Beaufort West / David Schmidt (34 p.) -- no. 36: Quiet desperation : the poverty of Calitzdorp / Dudley Horner (88 p.) -- no. 37: Poverty in Oudtshoorn : some impressions / Peter Buirski (37 p.).
- no. 38: Hard times in the Karoo : case studies and statistical profiles from five peri-urban residential areas / Wilfred Wentzel (142 p.) -- no. 39: Structural shifts in the George economy : underemployment and unskilled labour as conditions of impoverishment / Laura Levetan (114 p.) -- no. 40: Rendering welfare and development services with special reference to Grahamstown / Sally Damana (17 p.) -- no. 41: Survey of aspects of rural poverty in Clarens and the surrounding areas and of certain aspects in the black townships of Bethlehem and Harrismith / Christine Walwyn (22 p.) -- no. 43: Labour market and poverty in Transkei : special reference to the implications of the changing spatial division of labour / N.D Muller (48 p.) -- no. 44: Estimated household subsistence levels for Transkei urban and rural areas 1983 / C.D Cragg (86 p.) -- no. 45: Access to land in the Transkei / Julian Baskin (16 p.) -- no. 46: Face of rural poverty in Transkei : two village socio-economic profiles / N.D Muller (52 p.) -- no. 47: Mixed and threadbare bag : employment, incomes, and poverty in Lower Roza, Qumbu, Transkei / Terence Clive Moll (50 p.) -- no. 48: Silence of poverty : networks of control in rural Transkei / R.J Haines (29 p.) -- no. 49: Social inequality in a Transkeian 'betterment' village / Julia Segar (24 p.) -- no. 50: Financing rural development : with particular reference to Transkei / Wolfgang Thomas (33 p.) -- no. 51: 'Internal' migration and rural differentiation : a field report from the Matatiele/Qacha's Nek region / Andrew Spiegel (56 p.) -- no. 52: Vulnerability to impoverishment in South African rural areas : the erosion of kinship and neighbourhood as social resources / John Sharp (35 p.) -- no. 53a: Poverty and development in a rural community in KwaZulu : part 1, chapters I-III / Elisabeth Ardington (66 p.) -- no. 53b: Poverty and development in a rural community in KwaZulu : part 2, chapters IV-V / Elisabeth Ardington (151 p.) -- no. 55: What's the matter with Msinga? / David Robbins (28 p.) -- no. 56: Economic and demographic functioning of rural households : Mahlabatini District, KwaZulu / M.V Gandar (27 p.) -- no. 57: Modelling poverty on household dynamics : a data approach through percapita income / Catherine Cross (11 p.) -- no. 58: Sugarcane farming in KwaZulu : two communities investigated / Matthew Cobbett (24 p.).
- no. 59: Cattle sales in KwaZulu : wealth vs. income : implications for an improved marketing strategy / Paul Colvin (26 p.) -- no. 59: Daramas of Namaqualand : a case study of social differentiation as an adaptive strategy / Gerald Klinghardt (11 p.) -- no. 59: Legal education and the needs of the poor / Wallace Mgogi (11 p.) -- no. 60: Villagers without land : the household subsistence level in a Lehurutshe resettlement village / J.F. de V Graaff (39 p.) -- no. 62: Poverty in Mafikeng / Sue M Parnell (24 p.) -- no. 63: Socio-economic survey in Tzikundamalema (Venda) : an interim report / E.F.J Van Nieuwenhuizen (22 p.) -- no. 64: Poverty and rural deterioration : two case studies from post-'independence' Venda / A.G Schutte (17 p.) -- no. 65: Social welfare services in Lebowa and poverty related problems / Moses Bopape (26 p.) -- no. 66: Microstudies in Gazankulu : study of 8 villages in two districts of Gazankulu / Catherine Schneider (22 p.) -- no. 67: Aspects of poverty in Gazankulu : three case studies / Patrick Harries (29 p.) -- no. 68: Economic differentiation and racism in Namaqualand : a case study / Emile Boonzaier (23 p.) -- no. 69: Rural development schemes and the struggle against impoverishment in the Namaqualand reserves / John Sharp (30 p.) -- no. 71: Controls and constraints : land, labour and mobility in Namaqualand / John Sharp (21 p.) -- no. 73: Relocation and poverty / Laurine Platzky (21 p.) -- no. 74: Myth of 'voluntary removals' / Aninka Claassens (17 p.) -- no. 75: Removals of a quiet kind : removals from Indian, coloured and white-owned land in Natal / Ian Donald (17 p.) -- no. 76: Mr. Mapapu : a life history / Ben Maclennan (19 p.) -- no. 77: Bendell / Anne Templeton (58 p.) -- no. 78: Among the discarded / Buntu Mfenyana (46 p.) -- no. 79: Law, poverty and development in the context of South Africa / Wallace Mgoqi (40 p.).
- no. 80: Land law and poverty / Fikile Bam (17 p.) -- no. 81: Influx control : the pass laws / Arthur Chaskalson (26 p.) -- no. 82: Tightening the noose : African women and influx control in South Africa 1950-1980 / Joanne Yawitch (36 p.) -- no. 83: Political power and poverty : an examination of the role and effect of influx control in South Africa / Helen Zille (58 p.) -- no. 84: Farm labour and the law / Nicholas Haysom (47 p.) -- no. 85: Influx control and poverty : case studies / Black Sash (57 p.) -- no. 86: Population relocation and the law : social engineering on a vast scale / Nicholas Haysom (38 p.) -- no. 87: Divorce and deprivation in South Africa / S.B Burman (54 p.) -- no. 88: Aspects of legal aid in divorces / S.H Christie (20 p.) -- no. 90: Poverty and co-option : the role of the courts / Dennis Davis (14 p.) -- no. 91: Lawyers and poverty : beyond 'access to justice' / Geoff Budlender (26 p.) -- no. 93: Crime and poverty / Roy Gentle (14 p.) -- no. 94: Education and poverty : some perspectives / Bill Nasson (37 p.) -- no. 95: Development and underdevelopment of education in South Africa / P.N Pillay (37 p.) -- no. 96: Redefining skills : South African education in the 1980s / Linda Chisholm (33 p.) -- no. 97: Bitter harvest : farm schooling for black South Africans / Bill Nasson (46 p.) -- no. 98: Education : the rural poor : the delusion of basic education / Bob Smith (11 p.) -- no. 99: Effect of socio-economic locality on student aspirations in three Bophuthatswana schools / Monty Roodt (37 p.) -- no. 100: Current statistical profile of education in the developing states in the South African context / D Vermaak (34 p.) -- no. 101: Psychological deprivation theories in South African education / Ian Moll (22 p.).
- no. 102: Preschool education : an interventionist strategy in poverty / Achmat Davids (17 p.) -- no. 103: Role of preschool education in relation to the problems of the poor / Ann Short (35 p.) -- no. 104: Aspects of poverty and education in Namibia / K.E.B Von Kleist (31 p.) -- no. 105: Language, education and poverty / Abram L Mawasha (10 p.) -- no. 106: Business, poverty and education / Michael A.S Corke (11 p.) -- no. 107: Industrial Council wage rates and poverty / Debbie Budlender (20 p.) -- no. 108: Trade unions : monopoly power and poverty in Natal's industries / Ari Sitas (68 p.) -- no. 110: Trade unions in the homelands / Nicholas Haysom (46 p.) -- no. 111: New frontier of control? : case studies in the changing form of job control in South African industrial relations / Eddie Webster (33 p.) -- no. 112: Health and safety conditions in Witwatersrand foundries / Freddy Sitas (40 p.) -- no. 113: Where does all the surplus go? : a note on the analysis of your employer's profits / Rob Dorrington (81 p.) -- no. 114: Domestic workers in poverty / Gadija Berhardien (76 p.) -- no. 115: Child care and the working mother : a sociological investigation of a sample of urban African women / Jacklyn Cock (46 p.) -- no. 116: Staying single : a strategy against poverty? / Virginia Van der Vliet (20 p.) -- no. 117: Unfair dismissals / Charles Nupen (28 p.) -- no. 118: Black unemployment in South Africa : searching or queueing? : an analysis of the current population survey / Lieb Loots (34 p.) -- no. 119: Unemployment in South Africa : trends, causes, cures / Trevor Bell (20 p.) -- no. 120: Urban black unemployment and education in the Eastern Cape / David Gilmour (44 p.) -- no. 121: Recruitment and wage determination procedures of manufacturing firms in the Eastern Cape : implications for unemployment / Patrick McCartan (15 p.) -- no. 122: Trade unions, redundancies and new technology agreements / Johann Maree (32 p.).
- no. 123: Black unemployment : a case study in a peri-urban area of Natal / Julian Hofmeyr (83 p.) -- no. 124: Unemployment and casual labour in Maseru : the impact of changing employment strategies on migrant labourers in Lesotho / Motlatsi Thabane (25 p.) -- no. 125: Problems with the administration of unemployment insurance to blacks in Natal / Jillian Nicholson (18 p.) -- no. 126: Psychological effects of unemployment : an exploratory study / Bruce Irvine (76 p.) -- no. 127: Public sector policies and income distribution in South Africa during the period 1968-1980 / Iraj Abedien (35 p.) -- no. 128: Public expenditure in the R.S.A. on health, welfare and education during 1960-1, 1970-1 and 1980-1 / Ina Brand (51 p.) -- no. 129: State, education and income inequality : quantitative explorations of social inequality / Wilmot G James (21 p.) -- no. 130: Capitalist approach to the amelioration of poverty / Michael C O'Dowd (42 p.) -- no. 131: Socialist alternative / Herbert W Vilakazi (43 p.) -- no. 132: Combatting poverty : democratic choice in the economic sphere / Pieter Le Roux (31 p.) -- no. 133: Relation of industrial legislation and statutory regulations to poverty / Sheila T Van der Horst (13 p.) -- no. 134: Effects of inflation on the poor in South Africa / Brian Khan (44 p.) -- no. 135: Ideological background to alternative conceptions of social policy : a case study of housing / Delia Hendrie (24 p.) -- no. 137: Economics of transition : some notes on the supply side / Charles Elliott (18 p.) -- no. 138: State pension scheme and private pension funds : how they affect black people in South Africa / Human Awareness Programme (99 p.) -- no. 139: Aged and poverty / Eugenie Gunston (35 p.) -- no. 140: South African social pensioner : a white urban study / Anthony Pringle (43 p.) -- no. 141: Poverty and the black aged in the eastern townships of Johannesburg / Zerilda Nel (7 p.) -- no. 142: Pensions : the case of Natal / Jean Ngubane (11 p.) -- no. 143: Pension crisis in KwaZulu / Jillian Nicholson (10 p.).
- no. 144: Man-land relationships in the Eastern Cape / John Daniel (8 p.) -- no. 145: Indigenous plant resources : a buffer against rural poverty / Tony Cunningham (30 p.) -- no. 146: Economic causes of soil erosion / David Rees (6 p.) -- no. 147: Comparison of domestic water use between black and white communities in the Eastern Cape / Andrew Stone (8 p.) -- no. 148: Case study of water sources and water quality of the Chalumna/Hamburg area of Ciskei / Andrew Stone (20 p.) -- no. 149: Apsects of the political economy of drought and water in Transkei / N.D Muller (27 p.) -- no. 150: Basic needs and health in the Valley of a Thousand Hills / Irwin Friedman (25 p.) -- no. 151: Investigation of a cholera outbreak at the Umvoti Mission Reserve, Natal : a non-water epidemic? / Freddie Sitas (24 p.) -- no. 152: Constraints on local domestic water development in rural KwaZulu : the case of spring protection and rainwater harvesting / D.G.B Slade (10 p.) -- no. 154: Energy, poverty and development in South Africa / Anton A Eberhard (34 p.) -- no. 155: Energy and poverty in urban and peri-urban areas around in Cape Town / Anton A Eberhard (10 p.) -- no. 156: Poor man's energy crisis : domestic energy in KwaZulu / M.V Gandar (16 p.) -- no. 157: Housing study : legislation and the control of the supply of urban African accommodation / Christiane M Elias (41 p.) -- no. 158: Low-cost housing in Cape Town : the supply, shortage and possibilities for improvement / June Humphry (12 p.) -- no. 159: Question of working-class home ownership / Alan Mabin (25 p.) -- no. 160: Sale of the century? : a critical review of recent developments in African housing policy in South Africa / Peter Wilkinson (40 p.) -- no. 161: 'Affordability' of the new housing policy and its likely impact on the 'coloured' housing crisis in Cape Town / Christine Glover (52 p.) -- no. 162: Changing patterns of housing and house construction amongst the rural poor in KwaZulu / D.G.B Slade (6 p.) -- no. 163: Urban poverty and city development : some perspectives and guidelines / David Dewar (49 p.) -- no. 164: Housing and health / Myra Lipschitz (33 p.).
- no. 165: Socio-medical indicators for monitoring progress towards health for all in Southern Africa / C.C Jinabhai (114 p.) -- no. 166: Poverty, health and health care in South Africa / Crispian G Olver (105 p.) -- no. 167: Distribution of medical manpower and health care facilities in South Africa / P.N Pillay (27 p.) -- no. 168: Medical aid and benefit schemes / Technical Action Project (17 p.) -- no. 169: Meeting basic health needs : a cross sectional study of some determinants of mortality and life expectancy among coloured South Africans / Servaas Van der Berg (18 p.) -- no. 170: Health services within Soweto / T.D Wilson (26 p.) -- no. 171: Trends in perinatal and infant mortality in South Africa / Allen A.B Herman (14 p.) -- no. 172: Measles and poverty in Port Elizabeth / Stewart Fisher (12 p.) -- no. 173a: Regional variations in tuberculosis policy in South Africa / Elizabeth Thomson (26 p.) -- no. 173b: Implementation of tuberculosis policy in three areas in South Africa / Elizabeth Thomson (24 p.) -- no. 174: Tuberculosis : the patients' perspective / Elizabeth Thomson (13 p.) -- no. 175: Epidemiology of tuberculosis meningitis in the Western Cape, 1979-1981 / J Deeny (9 p.) -- no. 176: Effect of birth weight on infant mortality in a Western Cape metropolitan area / Michael R Rip (31 p.) -- no. 177: Poverty and community mental health social service / Janet Bailey (10 p.) -- no. 178: Poverty and contraception : family planning in the Western Cape / Magriet Kemp (10 p.) -- no. 179: Childhood head injuries and poverty / Marion Jacobs (12 p.) -- no. 180: Lead toxicity and poverty : preliminary case study investigations in Cape Town school children / Yasmin Von Schirnding (19 p.) -- no. 181: Impact of smoking in underdeveloped countries / Derek Yach (36 p.) -- no. 183: Oral health status of different population groups in the Cape peninsula / M.H Moola (11 p.) -- no. 184: Malnutrition in the Stellenbosch area (38 p.).
- no. 185: Epidemiology of stab fatalities in Cape Town / G.A Lawrence (62 p.) -- no. 186: Poverty and disability / Peter Disler (118 p.) -- no. 187: Piecing together health in the homelands / Anthony Zwi (32 p.) -- no. 188: Infant mortality in Naphuno 1 : initial results / Caroline Ntoane (16 p.) -- no. 189: Ciskei health survey / G.F.R Ellis (13 p.) -- no. 190: Gastro-enteritis in the Ciskei / Beverley Schweitzer (14 p.) -- no. 191: Aspects of the social effects of Mseleni joint disease / David Mann (14 p.) -- no. 192: Health and health care in Mhala : an overview / Eric Buch (21 p.) -- no. 193: Nutritional status of 1-5 year old children in Mhala / Eric Buch (5 p.) -- no. 194: How well do our rural clinics function? / Eric Buch (14 p.) -- no. 195: Reviewing the Health Centre policy : the Mhala experience / Eric Buch (7 p.) -- no. 196: Mobile clinics : what can they do and achieve? / Eric Buch (7 p.) -- no. 197: Do the primary health care nurses in Gazankulu provide second class cheap care to the poor? / Eric Buch (11 p.) -- no. 198: Can good tuberculosis care be provided in the face of poverty? / Eric Buch (22 p.) -- no. 199: School health services : problems and prospects / Eric Buch (9 p.) -- no. 200: Mass immunisation campaigns : the Tintswalo experience / Eric Buch (13 p.) -- no. 201: Community health workers in Mhala, Gazankulu : perversion of a progressive concept? / Merryl Hammond (25 p.) -- no. 203: Effects and limitations of Gazankulu's care groups in the prevention of diseases of poverty / Erika Sutter (20 p.) -- no. 204: Rural health care : the tears and joy / Mamphela Ramphele (18 p.) -- no. 205: Food and nutrition policy with relation to poverty : the child malnutrition problem in South Africa / John Hansen (34 p.).
- no. 206: Conditions and health status in KwaZulu : an overview / Nomusa Ndaba (44 p.) -- no. 207: Nutritional status of infants and children under the age of five in Esikhawini Township and Mpukunyoni / S.M Ndlovu (6 p.) -- no. 208: Nutritional status of inhabitants of northern Gazankulu and the response of the health services / Karel Ijsselmuiden (34 p.) -- no. 209: Nutritional status of adults in Willowmore / Nomusa Ndaba (9 p.) -- no. 210: Nutritional status of black, coloured and white pre-school children in a section of Cape Town / Ann Glyn Thomas (21 p.) -- no. 213: Nutritional intervention : a Ciskei and Eastern Cape perspective / R.J Fincham (14 p.) -- no. 214: Breastfeeding in South Africa / Lucy Thornton (25 p.) -- no. 215: Programme to promote breast feeding in a socio-economically disadvantaged area of Cape Town / Margaret Hoffman (15 p.) -- no. 216: Estimated cost and effectiveness of a nutrition rehabilitation day centre in an urban squatter community : Philani Crossroads, Cape Town / D.E Whittaker (7 p.) -- no. 217: Philani nutrition centre : an experiment in nutrition intervention / Ingrid Le Roux (16 p.) -- no. 218: Evaluation of the Empilisweni SACLA clinic as a model for intervention in a squatter area / Ivan Toms (17 p.) -- no. 219: Survey of nutrition education in the maternity units of Groote Schuur Hospital / Ray Carter (33 p.) -- no. 220: Dietary supplementation as preventative health treatment in needy populations / M.A Kibel (11 p.) -- no. 221: Fortification of foods and formulated fortified foods / H.J.H De Muelenaere (13 p.) -- no. 222: History and an analysis of the bread subsidy in South Africa / Peter Moll (27 p.) -- no. 223: Food stamp programme for South Africa / Peter Moll (33 p.) -- no. 224: Food production in the homelands : constraints and remedial policies / G Lenta (37 p.) -- no. 225: Rural crisis in South Africa : some issues / Barry Streek (13 p.) -- no. 226: Politics and production and community development in rural South Africa / Peter Derman (17 p.) -- no. 227: Community organisation through physical programmes : a strategy for tackling rural poverty / Paul Daphne (7 p.).
- no. 228: Peasant agricultural system in Eastern Maputaland : a development strategy / C.L Louw (14 p.) -- no. 229: Socio-political structures in rural areas, and their potential contribution to community development in KwaZulu / Paulus Zulu (10 p.) -- no. 230: Development alternatives for the Orange Free State with special reference to QwaQwa / E.P Beukes (27 p.) -- no. 231: Thinking our way out of the bottom of a pit latrine / Robert Collins (16 p.) -- no. 232: Wupperthal : thoughts and projections on rural development / Alan Kaplan (25 p.) -- no. 234: Citizens, the state and employment : public works as the core of a rural development strategy / Norman Reynolds (31 p.) -- no. 235: Where the informal sector is not the answer : women and poverty in rural KwaZulu / Eleanor Preston-Whyte (49 p.) -- no. 236: Role of agricultural marketing in the alleviation of poverty in the peri-urban areas of KwaZulu / Mark Lyster (17 p.) -- no. 237: Street trading in Transkei : a struggle against poverty, persecution and prosecution / Nicoli Nattrass (35 p.) -- no. 239: Association between rheumatic heart disease and overcrowding / Peter E Bundred (11 p.) -- no. 239: Informal helping networks in a KwaZulu rural area / Ruth Buthelezi (34 p.) -- no. 240: Do workers' co-operatives work? / Robert Collins (30 p.) -- no. 241: Co-operative production and regional development : the potential and constraints / Alan Gelb (42 p.) -- no. 242: Church, poverty and development in Southern Africa / Margaret Nash (42 p.) -- no. 243: State, the market and the inter-regional distribution of industry in South Africa / Trevor Bell (21 p.) -- no. 244: Industrial decentralisation : tentaive thoughts on its effects on employment creation / C.L McCarthy (10 p.) -- no. 245: Growth pole theory and regional development in South Africa : results of a survey in selected growth areas / Alison Todes (46 p.) -- no. 246: Decentralised industry, poverty and development in rural KwaZulu / Elisabeth Ardington (11 p.) -- no. 247: Vagabond Hollanders and runaway Englishmen : white poverty in the Cape before poor whiteism / Colin Bundy (20 p.) -- no. 250: Social security in historical perspective / Charles Meth (11 p.).
- no. 251: Area study on Venda / Elize Moody (12 p.) -- no. 252: Area study on Gazankulu / Elize Moody (13 p.) -- no. 253: Public expenditure and the poor : political and economic constraints on policy choices up to the year 2000 / Charles Simkins (42 p.) -- no. 254: Black fertility patterns : Cape Town and the Ciskei / Mary Roberts (20 p.) -- no. 255: Constraints to rural development in Lesotho / Bethuel Setai (62 p.) -- no. 256: Access to health care in Namaqualand : Klein Nourivier / D.E Whittaker (18 p.) -- no. 257: Education for justice / Paddy Kearney (10 p.) -- no. 258: Breaking the web : economic consequences of the destruction of extended families by Group Areas relocations in Cape Town / Don Pinnock (27 p.) -- no. 259: Energy conservation in Transkei rural communities / Roy Siegfried (6 p.) -- no. 260: Freehold title : blind alley in the homelands / D.R Tapson (10 p.) -- no. 261: Aspects of agriculture and rural poverty in Transkei / T.J Bembridge (23 p.) -- no. 262: Trends and key factors in rural development / T.J Bembridge (10 p.) -- no. 263: Illiteracy and adult basic education in South Africa / Linda Wedepohl (28 p.) -- no. 263: Political economy of housing in the Western Cape, 1940-1960 / Adrian Sayers (11 p.) -- no. 264: Educational reform in Tanzania : schools, skills and social transformation / Joel Samoff (33 p.) -- no. 265: Socialist development and educational reform in Cuba, 1959-1980 / Martin Carnoy (32 p.) -- no. 266: Adult malnutrition in South Africa / Stephen J O'Keefe (18 p.) -- no. 267: Children's Care Centre in Vryburg (N. Cape) / Harold Brooks (7 p.) -- no. 268: Nutrition intervention study in Gelukspan district / Martin Bac (28 p.) -- no. 269: Determinants of poverty : a theoretical analysis / Michael McGrath (34 p.).
- no. 271: How much work do the African unemployed do? / Norman Bromberger (9 p.) -- no. 272: African household incomes in Vulindela / Norman Bromberger (12 p.) -- no. 273: Technical change and the destruction of farm employment / Norman Bromberger (13 p.) -- no. 274: Study of relatively poor African households / Norman Bromberger (9 p.) -- no. 275: Education and training in the homelands : a separate development? / Francine De Clerq (26 p.) -- no. 276: Lawyers and poverty / Graham Dyson (19 p.) -- no. 277: Levels of living in Ciskei : a quantitative and qualitative analysis / Simon B Bekker (17 p.) -- no. 278: Malnutrition in children in South Africa / Nomusa Ndaba (41 p.) -- no. 279: Political economy of maleria epidemics in Swaziland / Randall M Packard (68 p.) -- no. 280: Post-independence health service development in Zimbabwe : are there lessons for South Africa? / Anne Raynal (9 p.) -- no. 281: Pass laws and the disorganization and reorganization of the African population in South Africa / Michael Savage (58 p.) -- no. 282: Finding a job in QwaQwa : a study of employment opportunity resources / Leslie Bank (25 p.) -- no. 283: Critical analysis of the issues of reinstatement, specific performance and victimisation in the field of labour law / Glenn Turner (27 p.) -- no. 284: Poverty and wealth in a Kalahari village in Botswana / Pai Du Pradal (32 p.) -- no. 285: Swazi rural homestead : a case study of subsistence, wage dependency and misguided rural development / Fion De Vletter (30 p.) -- no. 286: Overview of QwaQwa : town and country in a South African bantustan / Joanne Martiny (32 p.) -- no. 287: Afrikaans farmers in the Transvaal : a quality-of-life profile / Pierre Hugo (30 p.) -- no. 288: Motor and ocular impairment in rural KwaZulu : a prevalence study / Pam McLaren (11 p.) -- no. 289: Workplace health services and employment in manufacturing industry in Greater Cape Town / Judith Cornell (27 p.) -- no. 290: Poverty and disease : a case study of diarrhoeal disease / Andre Botha (39 p.).
- no. 292: Community health project for the aged in Grassy Park/Lotus River : an assessment and guidelines for the future / Sedick Isaacs (6 p.) -- no. 293: Review of some of the socio-demographic variables that affect health / Sedick Isaacs (21 p.) -- no. 294: Preliminary notes on land and livestock in Libode / Fred Hendricks (22 p.) -- no. 295: Some diseases associated with poverty (135 p.) -- no. 296: Study of individual poverty / Polly Hill (14 p.) -- no. 297: Relocation and deprivation in QwaQwa : the experiences, problems and responses of closer settlement residents / Isak A Niehaus (45 p.) -- no. 299: South Africa's unemployment fund : an inadequate cover for the unemployed / Carole Cooper (30 p.) -- no. 300: Effectiveness of a broad based treatment programme in the treatment of malnutrition / Liz Clarke (30 p.) -- no. 301: Poverty and powerlessness : the politics of inequality / Mary Simons (12 p.) -- no. 302: Cape Town : a statistical summary and analysis of socio-economic trends for local areas and the 01 economic region / Ebrahim Patel (233 p.) -- no. 303: Population of the Cape Peninsula : a statistical summary / Lionel October (27 p.) -- no. 304: Workmen's compensation in South Africa : a brief overview / Ighsan Schroeder (18 p.) -- no. 305: Law and poverty / Ishmail Mahomed (11 p.) -- no. 306: Nutritional status of adults in parts of KwaZulu and Natal / Nomusa Ndaba (19 p.) -- no. 307: Historical, political and sociological factors affecting land use in the Transkei today : an ecological interpretation / Bruce McKenzie (27 p.) -- no. 308: Poverty : the moral challenge : get up and walk / Allan Boesak (12 p.) -- no. 309: Address from the president of the Carnegie Corporation of New York / David Hamburg (17 p.) -- no. 310: Signs of hope : a review of the Film Festival / Noel M Schwerin (35 p.) -- no. 311: Carnegie Conference overview / Francis Wilson (26 p.).
- Owning Institutions
- Columbia University Libraries