Who will say Kaddish? : a search for Jewish identity in contemporary Poland
- Who will say Kaddish? : a search for Jewish identity in contemporary Poland / text by Larry N. Mayer ; photographs by Gary Gelb ; with forewords by Thane Rosenbaum and Marc Riboud.
- Mayer, Larry.
- Syracuse, N.Y. : Syracuse University Press, 2002.
Items in the Library & Off-site
|Status||Format||Access||Call Number||Item Location|
|Text||Request in advance||DS135.P6 M35 2002||Off-site|
- Additional Authors
- Gelb, Gary.
- xiii, 193 pages : illustrations; 27 cm.
- "Through interviews, photography, reportage, and personal memoir Who Will Say Kaddish? creates a sociocultural portrait of the multilayered community of renewed Jewish life and tradition in Poland that has emerged since the fall of the Communist regime in 1989."--BOOK JACKET.
- Series Statement
- Religion, theology, and the Holocaust
- Uniform Title
- Religion, theology, and the Holocaust.
- Bibliography (note)
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 191-193).
- Foreword / Thane Rosenbaum -- Foreword / Marc Riboud -- Pt. 1. Amnesia. 1. Those Chosen Few. 2. A Time to Pray. 3. The Paradox of Identity. 4. Though He May Tarry. 5. An Unfair Advantage. 6. A Polish-Jewish Mother -- Pt. 2. A Time to Gather Stones. 7. The Sun Shines and Is Not Ashamed. 8. When the Rabbis Came to Dance. 9. Signs of Life. 10. From Every Stone: A Moral Obligation. 11. The Polish Price, the Jewish Cost. 12. Two Histories. Nozyk Synagogue, Warsaw -- Pt. 3. From Generation to Generation. 13. I Know That God Wants Us to Be Happy. 14. The Old and the Living. 15. Who Will Say Kaddish? 16. The Most Extraordinary Jewish School in the World -- Pt. 4. A New Testament. 17. The Privilege. 18. I Don't Know Who I Am. 19. This Polish-Jewish Craziness. 20. From Those Same Ashes -- Pt. 5. Bearing Witness. 21. The Final Question: What's the Big Deal? 22. Out of Hiding.
- 0815607199 (alk. paper)
- Owning Institutions
- Columbia University Libraries