Cemetery of mind
- Cemetery of mind / Poems by Dambudzo Marechera ; compiled by Flora Veit-Wild.
- Marechera, Dambudzo.
- Trenton, NJ : Africa World Press, 1999.
Items in the Library & Off-site
|Status||Format||Access||Call Number||Item Location|
|Text||Request in advance||PR9390.9.M3 C46 1999||Off-site|
- Additional Authors
- Veit-Wild, Flora, 1947-
- 222 pages; 23 cm.
- "Dambudzo Marechera is usually remembered as a novelist. However, many people feel that Marechera's real talent was as a writer of poetry. Cemetery of Mind is the first comprehensive collection of his poems, compiled with notes by his biographer, Flora Veit-Wild. The volume contains more than 140 poems, many of which were retrieved after his death and were previously unpublished. It also includes an interview with Marechera on poetry."--BOOK JACKET.
- Series Statement
- African writers library
- Uniform Title
- African writers library.
- Liberty -- Fragments -- Pledging my Soul -- The Dance is Open -- Metamorphosis and Darkness (an extract) -- The Struggle (a fragment) -- Characters from the Bergfrith -- Emptied Hearts -- Without -- There Is Nowhere to Go Mister -- I Am the Rape -- Smash, Grab, Run -- Throne of Bayonets -- Punkpoem -- The Bar-Stool Edible Worm -- Thinking Action -- The Footnote to Hamlet -- The Lancaster House Dressing Table -- Lines for Dean Swift -- Landscape Gardening -- Scrap Metal Flower Arrangement -- Full Moon Childhood -- The Grip -- Dark Pennywhistle -- Angling -- Changing Seasons -- The Voice of Watercolour Reeds -- The Dream -- In the History Class -- Oracle of the Povo -- The Poems Semantics (after Rainer Maria Rilke) -- To Langston Hughes -- Dead Guerillas Displayed to School Children -- Hooked A-Gallop -- The Undying Testament (Soweto, June 16 & Sharpeville) -- The Coin of Moonshire -- Open Window Shirtsleeves -- Fragment -- Fragment -- Siesta --
- The Light of Landscapes in Strings -- The Dream in the Cloud -- Mind in Residence -- Sunday Service -- Flower Arrangement of Fear -- Honeybeans my Piano -- The Book's Spokesman's Apology -- Drunk after the Misunderstanding -- Fictional Crux the Illusion -- Execution -- Lynching -- Fireflowers Early November -- Raid! -- Christmas 1983 -- The Trees of this City -- Gardening Friends -- Cleveland Dam the Wine Afternoon -- Before the Guests Arrive -- The Honeymoon a Disaster Area -- Temporary Sanity -- The Kamikaze Pilot Returns -- Marriage -- Rats for Sale -- Sunday it's Raffingora -- A Shred of Identity -- In the Gallery -- Goodbye -- Holding Hands -- By Bain Brothers Building -- By Founders Building -- Windowshopping -- Letter from Hospital - Norfolk Hotel -- Trying to Get Drunk -- Parliament -- Pub Conversation -- Inside Batanai Bar -- Union Avenue -- The Student Union (U.Z.) -- The Garden at Oasis Motel -- At the Student Union II (U.Z.) -- The Long Bar --
- The Swimming Pool (U.Z.) -- Guitar String Dance (at Hotel Elizabeth) -- Job's Nitespot -- Intimations at Makavusi Bar -- 6.00 pm City News (30 May 1985 Makabusi Bar, Harare) -- Mass Graves: Rusape -- The Zimbabwe Children's Liberation Festival -- Sharpeville's Blind Nights Ahead -- The Beacon Built on a Hill: footnote to Machel's death (Matthew 5.14) -- Dark as the door of a dream -- In this palmprint of screeching tyres -- The old man inside me -- Hell is other people -- He is sick, Doctor -- I have eaten the stars -- Midnight's cluster of Widow Spiders -- In the hospital of the angels -- The green lion leaps off my silver -- The red rubber ball -- What rough night erased the bloom -- Sunset's bloodshot eye -- Laughter's thief sours her sighs -- Knucklebruised whisper -- I dont know whats going on -- They are boiling my bones in the kitchen -- It does not matter which path you take -- Deface it; daub it red -- My skin is the map -- Roseview Court -- The Declaration --
- Morning Sickness -- Amelia: Sonnets and Other Poems -- When Love's Perished -- A Phantom of Delight -- Her Hand My Eyes Closes -- Primal Vision -- Th' Anniversary -- The Visitor -- Amelia -- The Cemetery in the Mind -- The Future a Mad Poem -- Amelia's at Apollo's Shrine -- Agony Column -- Dido in Despair -- Cassandra's Ball (a fragment) -- There's a Dissident in the Election Soup! -- Writing this Means I'm not Complaining -- Did You Ask What's Wrong with War? -- A Strong Case for Crap Artists by One against Them -- Who's Used my New Rucksack!? -- Where the Bastard Is God? -- Dope the Third World at Your Own Risk! -- Only the Mountainclimber Can Tell Us -- A Gothic Fragment near Warren Hills -- Comrade Dracula Joins the Revolution: A Wedding of Minds? -- Even Poets Enjoy Incidents -- An Expelled Student's Case for Retaining Old English -- It Was a Good Idea at the Time, Your Honour -- In Jail the Only Telephone Is the Washbasin Hole: Blow and We'll Hear! --
- Identify the Identity Parade -- My Time to Know -- Neither Innocence Nor Experience -- Green Graces Welcome Here -- Under Anaesthetic -- Workhouse Trumpet -- The Devil's Defiance (An Anonymous Note to Society) -- The Waterman Cometh -- Ice to Reprieve -- The Chair in Grief -- Darkness a Bird of Prey -- I Used to Like Tomatoes -- Which One of You Bastards is Death? -- Dambudzo Marechera Speaks about Poetry.
- 0865437327 (hc)
- 0865437335 (pbk.)
- Owning Institutions
- Columbia University Libraries