Masks for the dance : Himachal Pradesh, Phagli Festival / collection, Tom van Groeningen. All masks have danced / Stephan Steinmetz. Notes on Phagli masks & The Phagli of Khun / Tom van Groeningen.
- Masks for the dance : Himachal Pradesh, Phagli Festival / collection, Tom van Groeningen. All masks have danced / Stephan Steinmetz. Notes on Phagli masks & The Phagli of Khun / Tom van Groeningen.
- Groeningen, Tom van, 1948-
- Diemen : AMB 2020.
Items in the Library & Off-site
|Status||Format||Access||Call Number||Item Location|
|Text||Use in library||GT1748.I42 K854 2020g||Off-site|
- Additional Authors
- Steinmetz, Stephan, 1956-
- 111 pages : coour illustrations; 32 cm
- The more than 150 tribal masks in this publication are an anthology of the extensive collection of the Dutchman Tom van Groeningen (1948) of extraordinary masks from the Kullu Valley in the State of Himachal Pradesh in north-west India. Van Groeningen is not the average collector of tribal art who chooses on the basis of beauty, provenance and profit, but one who rather focuses on the stories and people behind the masks. He embeds objects in the religious, cultural setting of India, puts them into the context. "All my masks have danced," he says with a twinkling in his eye. What drives Van Groeningen? How did his collection grow? What makes his masks so appealing to the imagination? These are the other questions which are answered in this rich publication.
- Alternative Title
- All masks have danced
- Notes on Phagli masks & The Phagli of Khun
- Limited edition of 500 copies.
- Bibliography (note)
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Owning Institutions
- Columbia University Libraries