A day at Château de Fontainebleau
- A day at Château de Fontainebleau / text by Guillaume Picon ; photography by Eric Sander ; translated from the French by Barbara Mellor.
- Picon, Guillaume
- Paris : Flammarion, 
Items in the Library & Off-site
|Status||Format||Access||Call Number||Item Location|
|Text||Use in library||NA7736.F7 P5313 2015g||Off-site|
- Additional Authors
- 218 pages : illustrations (chiefly color); 24 cm
- This comprehensive, superbly illustrated, slipcased volume recounts the history of the palace and brings to life the splendors of French culture and history. A visit to the exceptionally well-preserved Fontainebleau, one of the few royal residences left intact during the French Revolution, offers unparalleled access to French history, art, and architecture. From Francois I to Napoleon, and from Marie Antoinette to Joséphine, Fontainebleau sweeps the reader back in time to experience the traditions and customs of great figures throughout the history of France. Comprised of more than 1,500 rooms on 130 acres of parkland and gardens, and situated thirty-seven miles south of Paris, Fontainebleau welcomes more than 500,000 visitors a year. This book features superb images illustrating the artisanal decorative details of the château and the spectacular works of art still housed within; it includes exclusive access to archival documents and numerous rooms and galleries that are not open to the public. Imbued with over eight centuries of history, Fontainebleau offers unique historical insight into the lives of over thirty-four French sovereigns who inhabited and enhanced this great architectural monument. From hunting excursions to the grand parties and spectacles that took place at Fontainebleau, this book is a private invitation inside a UNESCO World Heritage site and one of France's most beautiful historical monuments.
- Uniform Title
- Jour à Fontainebleau. English
- Alternative Title
- Jour à Fontainebleau.
- Château de Fontainebleau
- Decoration and ornament
- Château de Fontainebleau (Fontainebleau, France) Pictorial works
- Fontainebleau (France) > Buildings, structures, etc
- Château de Fontainebleau (Fontainebleau, France)
- Pictorial works
- France > Fontainebleau
- Castles > France > Fontainebleau
- Decoration and ornament > France > Fontainebleau
- Château de Fontainebleau (Fontainebleau, France) History
- Pictorial works.
- "Simultaneously published in French as Un jour à Fontainebleau" --colophon.
- Owning Institutions
- Columbia University Libraries