The cloud of unknowing [sound recording] ; Songs of the soul / Robert Kyr.
- The cloud of unknowing [sound recording] ; Songs of the soul / Robert Kyr.
- Kyr, Robert.
- [Arles, France] : Harmonia Mundi ; Burbank, Calif. : Harmonia Mundi USA, ℗2014.
Items in the Library & Offsite
About 1 Item. Still Loading More items...
|Audio||Use in library||Request||CD25603||Offsite|
- Additional Authors
- 1 audio disc : digital, stereo.; 4 3/4 in.
- Uniform Title
- Choral music. Selections
- Alternative Title
- Choral music.
- Compact disc.
- "This recording begins with an a cappella anthem, The singer's ode, which serves as a prelude to the two cantatas. It invokes the power of music to explore the relationship between human and divine love."--Page 4 of insert.
- The cloud of unknowing is a setting of texts by St. Teresa of Ávila (in 16th century Castellano/Castelian Spanish), various Psalms (in Latin), and excerpts from an anonymous 14th century guide to contemplation (in English), which provides the title for the work. Songs of the soul was composed as a cantata in the manner of J.S. Bach.
- Program notes by Robert Kyr in English with French translations, and texts in the original languages with English and French translations (39 pages, illustrated) inserted in container.
- Event (note)
- Recorded in June 2013, Texas A & M University-Corpus Christi Performing Arts Center, Corpus Christi, Texas.
- System Details (note)
- Super audio CD. This stereo/multi channel hybrid SACD can be played on any standard compact disc player.
- Language (note)
- Sung variously in English, Castellano (Castilian Spanish), and Latin.
- The singers ode (2012) (2:55) -- The clouds of unknowing (2013). Part I: Songs of night ; Part II. Songs of dawn (26:48) -- Songs of the soul (2011) (46:47).
- Owning Institutions
- Columbia University Libraries