- Additional Authors
- Richeson, David S.
- Found In
- Title is part of eBook package: De Gruyter EBOOK PACKAGE COMPLETE 2019 English 9783110610765
- Title is part of eBook package: De Gruyter EBOOK PACKAGE COMPLETE 2019 9783110664232
- Title is part of eBook package: De Gruyter EBOOK PACKAGE Mathematics 2019 English 9783110610406
- Title is part of eBook package: De Gruyter EBOOK PACKAGE Mathematics 2019 9783110606362
- Title is part of eBook package: De Gruyter PUP eBook-Package 2019 9783110663365
- Title is part of eBook package: De Gruyter PUP eBook-Package Pilot Project 2019 9783110652048
- 1 online resource (336 p.) : 221 b/w illus. 8 tables.
- Series Statement
- Princeton Science Library ; 82
- Uniform Title
- Euler's Gem (Online)
- Alternative Title
- Euler's Gem (Online)
- Electronic books.
- Access (note)
- Access restricted to authorized users.
- System Details (note)
- Mode of access: Internet via World Wide Web.
- Language (note)
- Frontmatter -- Contents -- Preface to the Princeton Science Library Edition -- Preface -- Introduction -- Chapter 1. Leonhard Euler and His Three "Great" Friends -- Chapter 2. What Is a Polyhedron? -- Chapter 3. The Five Perfect Bodies -- Chapter 4. The Pythagorean Brotherhood and Plato's Atomic Theory -- Chapter 5. Euclid and His Elements -- Chapter 6. Kepler's Polyhedral Universe -- Chapter 7. Euler's Gem -- Chapter 8. Platonic Solids, Golf Balls, Fullerenes, and Geodesic Domes -- Chapter 9. Scooped by Descartes? -- Chapter 10. Legendre Gets It Right -- Chapter 11. A Stroll through Königsberg -- Chapter 12. Cauchy's Flattened Polyhedra -- Chapter 13. Planar Graphs, Geoboards, and Brussels Sprouts -- Chapter 14. It's a Colorful World -- Chapter 15. New Problems and New Proofs -- Chapter 16. Rubber Sheets, Hollow Doughnuts, and Crazy Bottles -- Chapter 17. Are They the Same, or Are They Different? -- Chapter 18. A Knotty Problem -- Chapter 19. Combing the Hair on a Coconut -- Chapter 20. When Topology Controls Geometry -- Chapter 21. The Topology of Curvy Surfaces -- Chapter 22. Navigating in n Dimensions -- Chapter 23. Henri Poincaré and the Ascendance of Topology -- Epilogue: The Million-Dollar Question -- Acknowledgments -- Appendix A: Build Your Own Polyhedra and Surfaces -- Appendix B: Recommended Readings -- Notes -- References -- Illustration Credits -- Index
Richeson, David S.
Euler's Gem [electronic resource] : The Polyhedron Formula and the Birth of Topology / David S. Richeson.
Princeton, NJ : Princeton University Press, 
Princeton Science Library ; 82
Access restricted to authorized users.
How a simple equation reshaped mathematicsLeonhard Euler's polyhedron formula describes the structure of many objects-from soccer balls and gemstones to Buckminster Fuller's buildings and giant all-carbon molecules. Yet Euler's theorem is so simple it can be explained to a child. From ancient Greek geometry to today's cutting-edge research, Euler's Gem celebrates the discovery of Euler's beloved polyhedron formula and its far-reaching impact on topology, the study of shapes. Using wonderful examples and numerous illustrations, David Richeson presents this mathematical idea's many elegant and unexpected applications, such as showing why there is always some windless spot on earth, how to measure the acreage of a tree farm by counting trees, and how many crayons are needed to color any map. Filled with a who's who of brilliant mathematicians who questioned, refined, and contributed to a remarkable theorem's development, Euler's Gem will fascinate every mathematics enthusiast. This paperback edition contains a new preface by the author.
- System Details
Mode of access: Internet via World Wide Web.
- Source of description
Description based on online resource; title from PDF title page (publisher's Web site, viewed 06. Apr 2020)
- Connect to:
- Added Author
Richeson, David S.
- Found In:
Title is part of eBook package: De Gruyter EBOOK PACKAGE COMPLETE 2019 English 9783110610765
Title is part of eBook package: De Gruyter EBOOK PACKAGE COMPLETE 2019 9783110664232 ZDB-23-DGG
Title is part of eBook package: De Gruyter EBOOK PACKAGE Mathematics 2019 English 9783110610406
Title is part of eBook package: De Gruyter EBOOK PACKAGE Mathematics 2019 9783110606362 ZDB-23-DMA
Title is part of eBook package: De Gruyter PUP eBook-Package 2019 9783110663365
Title is part of eBook package: De Gruyter PUP eBook-Package Pilot Project 2019 9783110652048
- Other Standard Identifier