- xi, 199 pages : illustrations; 24 cm.
- Series Statement
- Rowman & Littlefield studies in food and gastronomy
- Uniform Title
- Studies in food and gastronomy.
- Bibliography (note)
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 183-188) and index.
- So many rich sauces -- Old wine in new bottles -- Nineteenth century -- The French were not, of course, the only sauciers -- The modern world of cooking begins -- O brave new world, that has such sauces in it! -- Time for a change -- Solutions -- Suspensions -- Gels -- Emulsions -- Cultured sauces -- Composites.
- Call Number
- JFE 19-4939
- 9781538115145 (ePub ebook) (canceled/invalid)
Allen, Gary (Gary J.), author.
Sauces reconsidered : après Escoffier / Gary Allen.
Lanham, Maryland : Rowman & Littlefield, 
- Copyright Date
- Type of Content
- Type of Medium
- Type of Carrier
Rowman & Littlefield studies in food and gastronomy
Studies in food and gastronomy.
Includes bibliographical references (pages 183-188) and index.
"Sauces Reconsidered: Après Escoffier replaces the traditional French hierarchy of sauces with a modern version based on the sauces' physical properties. While it is not a traditional cookbook, it does include many recipes. Cooks need not slavishly follow them, however, as the recipes illustrate their underlying functions, helping cooks to successfully create their own sauces based on their newfound understanding of sauces' intrinsic properties. Gary Allen explores what makes a sauce the type of sauce it is, how it works, why it is specific to a particular cuisine, and how cooks can make it their own through an understanding of how the ingredients work together to create a sauce that enriches a dish and tantalizes the taste buds."--Back cover.
- Other Form:
Online version: Allen, Gary (Gary J.). Sauces reconsidered. Lanham, Maryland : the Rowman & Littlefield,  9781538115145 (DLC) 2018032723
- Other Standard Identifier
- Research Call Number