Fred Fehl photographs.
- Fred Fehl photographs.
- Fehl, Fred
- Supplementary Content
- Finding aid
Items in the Library & Off-site
About 27 Items. Still Loading More items...
|Status||Vol/Date||Format||Access||Call Number||Item Location|
Available - Can be used on site. Please visit New York Public Library - Performing Arts Research Collections to submit a request in person.
|Box 27||Still image||Supervised use||*MGZEB 18-2790 Box 27||Performing Arts Research Collections - Dance|
|Box 26||Still image||Supervised use||*MGZEB 18-2790 Box 26||Offsite|
|Box 25||Still image||Supervised use||*MGZEB 18-2790 Box 25||Offsite|
|Box 24||Still image||Supervised use||*MGZEB 18-2790 Box 24||Offsite|
|Box 23||Still image||Supervised use||*MGZEB 18-2790 Box 23||Offsite|
|Box 22||Still image||Supervised use||*MGZEB 18-2790 Box 22||Offsite|
|Box 21||Still image||Supervised use||*MGZEB 18-2790 Box 21||Offsite|
|Box 20||Still image||Supervised use||*MGZEB 18-2790 Box 20||Offsite|
|Box 19||Still image||Supervised use||*MGZEB 18-2790 Box 19||Offsite|
|Box 18||Still image||Supervised use||*MGZEB 18-2790 Box 18||Offsite|
|Box 17||Still image||Supervised use||*MGZEB 18-2790 Box 17||Offsite|
|Box 16||Still image||Supervised use||*MGZEB 18-2790 Box 16||Offsite|
|Box 15||Still image||Supervised use||*MGZEB 18-2790 Box 15||Offsite|
|Box 14||Still image||Supervised use||*MGZEB 18-2790 Box 14||Offsite|
|Box 13||Still image||Supervised use||*MGZEB 18-2790 Box 13||Offsite|
|Box 12||Still image||Supervised use||*MGZEB 18-2790 Box 12||Offsite|
|Box 11||Still image||Supervised use||*MGZEB 18-2790 Box 11||Offsite|
|Box 10||Still image||Supervised use||*MGZEB 18-2790 Box 10||Offsite|
|Box 9||Still image||Supervised use||*MGZEB 18-2790 Box 9||Offsite|
- approximately 5,500 images in 27 boxes : prints and negatives, some color; 41 x 51 cm. or smaller
- 4 posters : color ;
- 18.14 linear feet
- Fracci, Carla, > dancer
- Robbins, Jerome, > choreographer
- Balanchine, George, > choreographer
- Bolʹshoĭ teatr SSSR > Balet > Photographs
- Martha Graham Dance Company Photographs
- Negatives (photographs)
- American Ballet Theatre Photographs
- Theater > Photographs
- Modern dance > New York (State) > New York
- Bruhn, Erik, 1928-1986, > dancer
- Photographic prints
- Ballet Russe de Monte Carlo Photographs
- New York City Ballet Photographs
- New York City Opera Photographs
- Performing arts > Photographs
- Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater Photographs
- Joffrey Ballet School Photographs
- Harkness Ballet Photographs
- Ballet > Photographs
- Photographic prints.
- Negatives (photographs).
- The finding aid for the Fred Fehl photographs collection is a conflation of multiple gift and donation inventories created by Fred Fehl from the early 1990s. The materials are organized alphabetically by company name, then alphabetically by ballet and then chronologically within the folder when there are multiple dates present.
- The collection is predominantly comprised of black and white 5 x 7" prints that capture dance performances, mostly in New York City, from 1940-1990. Best represented are the American Ballet Theatre; the Joffrey Ballet; the Harkness Ballet; the Bolshoi Ballet; and the New York City Ballet. Numerous other dance companies are also represented, such as the Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater, the Ballet Russe de Monte-Carlo, and the Martha Graham Dance Company.
- In addition to photographs of performances, there are occasional shots of rehearsals, studio shots, or individual dancer portraits; some televised ballet productions are also represented. The photographs range from sizes 8" x 10" to 16" x 20". At the end of the New York City Ballet prints, there is one folder of xerox copies of George Balanchine photographs. These copies are numbered and have their own finding aid preceding them within the folder. Additionally there is a small amount of New York City Ballet negatives located at the end of the NYCB print series and are arranged by the number designated by Fehl.
- The second series, Published Materials, represents Fehl's dance photography as reproduced in newspapers, magazines and other media. Included are clippings, magazine covers, sound recording covers, and book covers. These published materials were on display at an exhibition of Fehl's career in 1976 at the NYPL's Library of the Performing Arts.
- Source (note)
- Fred Fehl;
- Call Number
- *MGZEB 18-2790
- Fehl, Fred, photographer.
- Fred Fehl photographs.
- Type of Content
- still image
- Type of Medium
- Type of Carrier
- The Fred Fehl photographs collection consists of photographs and published materials related to Fehl's work documenting dance and theater performances, mainly in New York City. The majority of the photographs are black and white 5 x 7" prints. Ballet companies that are well represented are the American Ballet Theatre, the Joffrey Ballet, and the New York City Ballet. There are also published materials that feature Fehl's photography as reproduced in newspapers, magazines, programs, and other media.
- Photographer Fred Fehl (1906-1995) was born and educated in Vienna and settled in New York in 1939 after fleeing from Nazi occupied territory Austria in 1938. Early in his career he worked as a children's photographer to support himself while he pursued his true passion of documenting theater and stage productions. Since his arrival in the United States, Fehl avidly documented the performing arts and devoted his life to capturing the ephemeral nature of dance and theater. He became known as a pioneer in the taking of candid photographs during performances through the use of existing stage lighting, and has documented many productions from Broadway, the New York City Opera and Ballet, and American Ballet Theater, as well as unique performances which would otherwise have been visually lost. Fehl made his career as a performance photographer, covering theater, dance, opera, and music for more than forty years. He published several books of his photography, including Stars of the Ballet and Dance in Performance Photographs (1984) and At New York City Ballet (1991).
- Gift; Fred Fehl; 1991.
- Connect to:
- Research Call Number
- *MGZEB 18-2790