- Additional Authors
- 1 online resource (viii, 330 p.) : ill., maps.
- Uniform Title
- Big Bend's ancient & modern past (Online)
- Alternative Title
- Big Bend's ancient and modern past
- Electronic books.
- Compilation of articles originally published in the Journal of Big Bend studies.
- Bibliography (note)
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Access (note)
- Access restricted to authorized users.
- Introduction: Big Bend history and prehistory / Bruce A. Glasrud and Robert J. Mallouf -- Prehistory meets history -- Cradles, cribs, and mattresses: prehistoric sleeping accommodations in the Chihuahuan Desert / Solveig A. Turpin -- Comments on the prehistory of far northeastern Chihuahua, the La Junta District, and the Cielo Complex / Robert J. Mallouf -- The rough run burial: a semisubterranean cairn burial from Brewster County, Texas / William A. Cloud -- The Río Conchos drainage: history, archaeology, significance / J. Charles Kelley -- History meets Native Americans -- Native American and Mestizo farming at La Junta de los Ríos / Enrique R. Madrid -- The Peyote religion and Mescalero Apaches: an ethnohistorical view from West Texas / Stacy B. Schaefer -- Spanish-Indian relations in the Big Bend Region during the eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries / Elizabeth A.H. John -- New light on Chisos Apache Indian Chief Alsate / Franklin W. Daugherty and Luis López Elizondo -- Settlers and settlements -- Settlements and settlers at La Junta de los Ríos, 1759-1822 / Oakah L. Jones -- Mexican American traditional foodways at La Junta de los Ríos / Joe S. Graham -- Naming practices among the Black Seminole of the Texas-Mexico border region / Mischa B. Adams -- Transient clergy in the Trans-Pecos area, 1848-1892 / Robert E. Wright -- William Rufus Shafter with the frontier army in the Big Bend / Paul H. Carlson -- Acculturation on the Rio Grande frontier: the founding of San José del Polvo and the family of Lucia Rede Madrid / Earl H. Elam -- Glossary of archaeological terms / Robert J. Mallouf -- Suggested readings / Bruce A. Glasrud and Robert J. Mallouf.
Big Bend's ancient & modern past [electronic resource] / edited by Bruce A. Glasrud and Robert J. Mallouf ; foreword by Lonn Taylor.
College Station, Tex. : Texas A&M University Press, c2013.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
Access restricted to authorized users.
- Connect to:
- Added Author
Glasrud, Bruce A.
Mallouf, Robert J.
- Added Title
Big Bend's ancient and modern past