- Additional Authors
- 1 videodisc, 80 min. : sound, color; 4 3/4 in. +
- "Shirley Clarke's Ornette: Made in America captures Ornette Coleman's evolution over three decades, as it chronicles his boyhood in segregated Texas and his subsequent emergence as an American cultural pioneer and world-class icon. The documentary explores the rhythms, images and myths of America seen through the eyes of an artist's ever-expanding imagination and experience. Clarke followed Ornette and his young son Denardo starting in the late 1960s and then ending with a homecoming tribute in his hometown of Forth Worth in 1983. The tribute featured a gala concert of his seminal "Skies of American" alongside performances with his Prime Time band. The innovative techniques that director Shirley Clarke (and producer Kathelin Hoffman Gray) employed in the film closely parallels Ornette's music --eschewing traditional documentary styles with breathtaking originality to reveal Ornette's equally extraordinary vision." -- Container.
- Series Statement
- Milestone Cinematheque
- Project Shirley ; v. 3
- Uniform Title
- Kathelin Hoffman Gray reminisces about Ornette and Shirley.
- Filmed performances.
- Biographical films.
- Documentary films.
- Nonfiction films.
- Feature films.
- "Restoration by the UCLA Film & Television Archive, Milestone Films and NT Audio Video Labs." -- Container.
- Bonus features: Shirley love Felix ; The Link Revisited: An Interview with Denardo Coleman; A Video Interview with Shirley Clarke; A Radio Interview with Shirley Clarke; SDH subtitles; Ornette Trailer; Booklet with memories from producer Kathelin Hoffman Gray.
- Credits (note)
- Music by Ornette Coleman ; creative consultant, Johnny Dolphin ; director of photography, Ed Lachman.
- Language (note)
Clarke, Shirley, 1919-1997, filmmaker.
Ornette : made in America / a film by Shirley Clarke. Project Shirley, Volume Three. Restored by Milestone and the UCLA Film & Television Archive.
[Harrington Park, NJ] : Milestone Films, 2014.
- Copyright Date
- Type of Content
two-dimensional moving image
- Type of Medium
- Type of Carrier
- Digital File Characteristics
Blu-ray video file Blu-Ray
Project Shirley ; v. 3
Music by Ornette Coleman ; creative consultant, Johnny Dolphin ; director of photography, Ed Lachman.
Starring Ornette Coleman, and featuring Prime Time (Denardo Coleman, Charles Ellerbe, Sabir Kamal, Albert MacDowell, Bern Nix, Jamaaladeen Tacuma), William Burroughs, Charlie Haden, Ed Blackwell, Viva, Dewey Redman, Don Cherry, Brion Gysin, the Fort Worth Symphony Orchestra conducted by John Giordano, George Russell, Caravan of Dreams Theater Ensemble, Jayne Cortez, Demon Marshall, Eugene Tatum.
- Added Author
Coleman, Ornette, composer, instrumentalist.
Hoffman, Kathelin, film producer, writer of supplementary textual content (expression)
Dolphin, Johnny, contributor.
Lachman, Edward, 1948- director of photography.
Coleman, Ornette Denardo, interviewee (expression)
Prime Time (Musical group), instrumentalist.
UCLA Film and Television Archive.
Milestone Films (Firm)
- Added Title
Container of (work): Kathelin Hoffman Gray reminisces about Ornette and Shirley.