- Additional Authors
- Found In
- Tom Scott audio collection, 1941-1960.
- 5 streaming audio files (28:45) : digital, mono.
- Alternative Title
- Tom Scott audio collection.
- Red alert.
- Title from original audiotape reel container.
- "17"--From original audiotape container spine.
- "Teo Macero Sax (pop songs); Mole Variations for recorder"--From original audiotape reel container.
- Access (note)
- Access to original item restricted. Patrons can access streaming audio only at the Library for Performing Arts Research Center.
- Source (note)
- Music Division, Tom Scott papers,
- Language (note)
- Spoken in English, sung (Part 4 only) in Italian.
- Linking Entry (note)
- Forms part of: Tom Scott audio collection, 1941-1960.
- Part 1: Saxophone and piano jazz/pop music tracks: no. 1 ; no. 2 ; no. 3 / music by Tom Scott -- Mole [theme and] variations for [two] recorders: Opening narrration ("I am Miff, said the mole...") [words written by Jim Moran; some music later used as themes for "Sophocles, the hyena", ca. 1957] ; Introduction of recorders (tenor and bass) ; Theme ; Theme played backwards ; Variations: Gavotte (bass) ; Mazurka (bass and tenor) ; Polka (bass and tenor) ; Waltz (bass and tenor) ; Gigue (tenor and bass) [ends abruptly] (Tom Scott, narrator) / music by Tom Scott (10:04)
- Part 2: Home recording (slight background noise, writing?) (4:32)
- Part 3: [Excerpt, end of] "Red alert: [a] short synopsis" (3:00) / [a science-fiction movie idea about life in Venus; the hero Zomaz meets women from Venus] / idea dictated by Tom Scott.
- Part 4: [Telephone calls (August 1958)] (10:01): Tom Scott and Donna Ricca's conversation ; Tom sings a Verdi recitative ("Freddo sepolcro") before aria ("Il lacerato spirito") from "Simon Boccanegra" ; Donna Ricca's audio [slightly erratic] ; Tom talks about trouble of receiving payments to Tom Scott Interprises, and talks about his work on three "Camera Three" episodes: "The tell-tale heart" (originally broadcast 8/24/58), "Ivy day [in the committee room]" (originally broadcast 8/17/58) and "Emily Dickinson: [Portrait of a poet]" (originally broadcast 8/10/58).
- Part 5: [Unidentified] Short old (radio) broadcast clip of a dramatic interpretation of the day before the Gettysburg Address (originally broadcast 11/19/47) [ends abruptly]
- Call Number
- *LT-7-A 4072
Three sax/piano pop songs ; Mole variations for recorders / music by Tom Scott. [Home recordings]: Writing background noise ; [Excerpt, end of] Red alert: a short synopsis / dictated by Tom Scott ; Telephone calls, [1958-08] / with Donna Ricca and Tom Scott. Part of a radio dramatization of the Gettysburg Address, [1947-11-19].
- Playing Time
001004 000432 000300 001001 000108
- Type of Content
- Type of Medium
- Type of Carrier
Part 1: Teo Macero, tenor saxophone ; [with unidentfied piano] (1st-3rd works) ; [2 unidentified recorders (tenor and bass)] (4th work) ; Tom Scott, composer and narrator (4th work). Parts 2-4: Tom Scott, recording engineer, singer (Part 4 only) and added commentary. Part 5: [Unidentified narrator and 2 actors playing Ward Lamon and Abraham Lincoln)]
Recorded Tom Scott's house, New York, New York [195-?] (Parts 1-3) [August 1958] (Part 4); Broadcast? [New York, New York] 1947 November 19 (Part 5).
This is a medley of Tom Scott homemade recordings made between 1947 and 1958.
Access to original item restricted. Patrons can access streaming audio only at the Library for Performing Arts Research Center.
- Original Version
Archival original: (1 audiotape reel : analog, 7 1/2 ips and 3 3/4 ips, full-track, mono, NAB ; 7 in.) in *LT-7-A 4072; originally re-wound from a 5 in. audiotape reel.
Spoken in English, sung (Part 4 only) in Italian.
- Linking Entry
Forms part of: Tom Scott audio collection, 1941-1960.
- Local Note
Preservation files: (5 audio files : digital, WAV file, 96 kHz, 24 bit), in long term storage, Digital Library Processing server [myh_lt7a4072_v01f01_em (Part 1), myh_lt7a4072_v01f02r01_em (Part 2), myh_lt7a4072_v01f02r02_em (Part 3), myh_lt7a4072_v01f02r03_em (Part 4) and myh_lt7a4072_v01f03_em (Part 5)].
Separated from; Music Division, Tom Scott papers, 1912-1970 (bulk 1942-1960); JPB 12-08.
- Connect to:
- Added Author
Moran, Jim, author.
Scott, Tom, 1912-1961, composer.
Scott, Tom, 1912-1961, commentator.
Ricca, Donna, commentator.
Macero, Teo, 1925-2008, performer.
Scott, Tom, 1912-1961, performer.
Container of (work): Scott, Tom, 1912-1961. Mole variations, recorders (2)
Container of (work): Scott, Tom, 1912-1961. Sax pop songs, saxophone, piano.
Scott, Susanna, donor.
- Added Title
Tom Scott audio collection.
- Found In:
Tom Scott audio collection, 1941-1960.
- Research Call Number