- Additional Authors
- xii, 321 pages : illustrations; 25 cm
- Bibliography (note)
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Introduction / Josephine Metcalf & Carina Spaulding : "Out of the Frying Pan and into the Fire" -- The African American criminal in culture and media -- Ill parallels : Ice-T, iceberg slim, and portrait of a pimp / Will Turner -- From deflection to deconstruction: the transformation of Ishmael Reed's satire in juice! / Jiri Salamoun -- Slave voices and bodies in poetry and plays -- Of diggin' and fakin' : historiopoiesis in Suzan-Lori Parks and contemporary African American culture / Ilka Saal -- Poetry in the archive : reimagining amistad in Kevin Young's ardency / Carl Plasa -- Representing African American gender and sexuality in pop-culture and society -- (Dis)robing django unchained : the black damsel in distress as a progressive image / Celeste Doaks -- From beyoncé to brandy : celebrity and the black hair care industry since 1992 -- The rebirth of queer : exile, kinship, and metamorphosis in Dee Rees' pariah / Aneeka A. Henderson -- Black cultural production in music and dance -- Popularizing African American history and culture through dance : the ethics and politics of the artistic visions of Alvin Ailey and Judith Jamison / Carmen Dexl -- Breakbeat syncretism : the drum sample in African American popular music / Rowan Oliver -- Twenty-first century blues : treme, jazz, and the remaking of New Orleans -- Obama and the politics of race / Brian Jones -- The Wright liability : barack obama's response to racial controversy -- "Not one of us, Barack Obama, the "paranoid style" and the polarization of american politics / Kevern Verney -- A double edged sword : Ebony Magazine and the 2008 Obama campaign / James West -- In closing: ongoing realities and the meaning of "blackness" -- "Being afraid of "post-blackness"" : what's neoliberalism got to do with it? / Marlon Lieber -- Black art in the age of "new Jim Crow" : delimiting the scope of racial justice and black film production since Rodney King / Jonathan Munby -- Afterword / John Oldfield -- Index.
- Call Number
- Sc F 16-51
- 9781472455406 (canceled/invalid)
- 9781472455413 (canceled/invalid)
African American culture and society after Rodney King : provocations and protests, progression and "post-racialism" / edited by Josephine Metcalf, Carina Spaulding.
Burlington, VT : Ashgate, 2015.
- Type of Content
- Type of Medium
- Type of Carrier
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Chronological Term
1900 - 1999
- Added Author
Metcalf, Josephine, 1975- editor.
Spaulding, Carina, editor.
- Research Call Number
Sc F 16-51