- Additional Authors
- One streaming file (approximately 26 minutes): digital, stereo
- Streaming file (approximately 13 first minutes). [Music and announcements by an unidentified speaker followed by Marian Horosko's introduction of host Alvin H. Reiss.] Ben Sommers speaks with Alvin H. Reiss about the Capezio company and the Capezio Dance awards, including the company's expansion into fashion wear; the establishing of the Capezio Dance awards; Lucia Chase, the recipient of the most recent (17th) award; other recipients and their achievements, beginning with Zachary Solov and including Genevieve Oswald; the size of the prize including an anecdote about Agnes de Mille; the selection of the recipient including the names of some past and present members of the award committeee; business support of the arts.
- Streaming file (from approximately 12:53 to 26:28). Marian Horosko, as host, introduces her guest Sophie Maslow; Sophie Maslow speaks with Marian Horosko about the new dance company she is forming, including its relationship to the New Dance Group; the new company's putative repertory; her reasons for forming a new company, in particular, her desire as a choreographer to express her humanistic views; what she looks for in dancers of her work; her approach to the incorporating of folk and ethnic material in her work. [The interview ends at approximately 25:12. The remaining portion of the recording consists of music and announcements by an unidentified announcer.]
- Uniform Title
- World of dance (Radio program)
- Alternative Title
- Interview with Sophie Maslow
- Radio interviews.
- Interview with Ben Sommers conducted by Alvin H. Reiss, as host (approximately 13 minutes); and interview with Sophie Maslow conducted by Marian Horosko, as host (approximately 12 minutes), for broadcast on radio station WNYC-FM, New York on its series World of Dance, on March 17, 1968.
- Title supplied by cataloger.
- Sound quality is good.
- Access (note)
- Patrons may access streaming audio only on site at NYPL Research Libraries.
- Funding (note)
- The conservation and cataloging of this recording was made possible in part by the New York State Council on the Arts with the support of Governor Andrew Cuomo and the New York State Legislature. The support of the National Endowment for the Arts is also gratefully acknowledged.
Sommers, Ben, 1906-1985, interviewee.
Interview with Ben Sommers, and, interview with Sophie Maslow, 1968
- Type of Content
- Type of Medium
- Type of Carrier
- Digital File Characteristics
- Restricted Access
Patrons may access streaming audio only on site at NYPL Research Libraries.
Broadcast by WNYC-FM 1968, March 17 New York (N.Y.)
The conservation and cataloging of this recording was made possible in part by the New York State Council on the Arts with the support of Governor Andrew Cuomo and the New York State Legislature. The support of the National Endowment for the Arts is also gratefully acknowledged.
- Original Version
Original format: one sound reel (approximately 26 minutes); 7"; acetate; full-track; ips not specified; transferred to wav file and streaming file (myd_mgzto73053_v01f01_sc) formats in 2015.
- Connect to:
- Added Author
Horosko, Marian, interviewer.
Reiss, Alvin H., interviewer.
Maslow, Sophie, interviewee.
- Added Title
World of dance (Radio program)
Interview with Sophie Maslow