- Additional Authors
- Found In
- George Avakian and Anahid Ajemian audio collection
- 2 streaming audio files (55:59) : digital, mono.
- Alternative Title
- Mahalia Jackson interview 1956
- George Avakian and Anahid Ajemian audio collection.
- "L126"--From original audiotape reel spine.
- Title from cataloger.
- Columbia CL 702 was issued in 1955. The 1956 date is from container, may be applied to recording session rehearsals.
- Access (note)
- Access via streaming audio restricted to onsite at New York Public Library secure reading rooms.
- Credits (note)
- George Avakian, producer.
- Source (note)
- Music Division, George Avakian and Anahid Ajemian papers, 1908-2013;
- Linking Entry (note)
- Forms part of: George Avakian and Anahid Ajemian audio collection; *L(Special) 14-06.
- On part 1, most of the audio is the recording master tapes (?) of Mahalia Jackson's Christmas gospel 1955 album "Sweet little Jesus boy" (Columbia CL 702). On both part 1 and 2, there is audio of unidentified studio recording rehearsals for the Dave Brubeck Quartet and Louis Armstrong.
- [Side 1]: Sweet little Jesus boy: Silent night ; No room at the inn ; Joy to the world! ; The holy babe (bonus track) ; [Erratic at beginning] Sweet little Jesus boy -- [Brief excerpt] [Unidentified Dave Brubeck track (sped up] ; Audio tone] -- Sweet little Jesus boy: O come all ye faithful ; Go tell it on the mountain ; White Christmas ; O little town of Bethlehem ; I wonder as I wander (0:00-39:03) -- [No audio] (39:04-39:35) -- [Unidentified studio rehearsal tapes]: [Dave Brubeck Quartet] -- [Unidentified studio rehearsal tapes, excerpt]: [Louis Armstrong] (39:36-47:23)
- [Side 2]: [2nd unidentified studio rehearsal excerpt]: [Louis Armstrong] (0:00-8:36)
- Call Number
- *LT-10-A 4616
[Sweet little Jesus boy] : recording master tapes. [Unidentified studio rehearsal tapes] / [Dave Brubeck Quartet ; Louis Armstrong]
- Playing Time
- Type of Content
- Type of Medium
- Type of Carrier
George Avakian, producer.
[Part 1]: Mahalia Jackson, vocals ; with instrumental ensemble and chorus (1st-5th, 7th-11th works) ; [Dave Brubeck Quartet] (6th and 12th works) ; [Louis Armstrong, cornet ; with jazz ensemble] (13th work). [Part 2]: [Louis Armstrong, cornet ; with jazz ensemble] (1st work)
Recorded [New York?] 1956 (recording sessions date);  (issue date (CL 702); 1st-5th, 7th-11th works)
Access via streaming audio restricted to onsite at New York Public Library secure reading rooms.
- Original Version
Archival original: (1 audiotape reel : analog, full-track, 7 1/2 and 15 ips, NAB, mono ; 10 in.) in *LT-10-A 4616.
- Linking Entry
Forms part of: George Avakian and Anahid Ajemian audio collection; *L(Special) 14-06.
- Local Note
Preservation files: (2 audio files : digital, WAV file, 96 kHz, 24 bit), in long term storage, Digital Library Processing server [myh_lt10a4616_v01f01_em (Side 1), and myh_lt10a4616_v01f02_em (Side 2)].
"The holy babe" (4th work) is a bonus track; according to Discogs.com, the original 4th track is called "The holy Bible". Uncertain if this track was another piece or there was a missprint on the original album. The final track order of the published album "Sweet little Jesus boy" doesn't match this audio.
Separated from; Music Division, George Avakian and Anahid Ajemian papers, 1908-2013; 2014; JPB 14-28.
- Connect to:
- Added Author
Avakian, George, producer.
Jackson, Mahalia, 1911-1972, performer.
Armstrong, Louis, 1901-1971, performer.
Dave Brubeck Quartet, performer.
- Added Title
George Avakian and Anahid Ajemian audio collection.
- Found In:
George Avakian and Anahid Ajemian audio collection
- Research Call Number