- Additional Authors
- Borger, Kate
- Caplan, Elliot
- Cunningham, Merce
- Lopate, Leonard
- Walker, Melody
- Cage, John.
- National Public Radio (U.S.), radio producer.
- WNYC (Radio station : New York, N.Y.), broadcaster.
- Merce Cunningham Dance Foundation, donor.
- Found In
- Merce Cunningham Dance Foundation Collection.
- 2 streaming audio files (65 minutes total) : digital, stereo
- Side a [part 2 of the program]: Begins abruptly, Leonard Lopate introduces Kate Borger, Melody Walker and the interview with Merce Cunningham, ca. 0:00-1:38; they play an excerpt from John Cage's Voiceless essay for Cunningham's Points in space (1987), and, while playing, they describe their thoughts on it, ca. 1:43-3:36; Walker introduces her interview with Cunningham taken at his [Merce Cunningham Dance] Studio in Westbeth and they play the interview recording, ca. 3:37-20:15; Cunningham speaks about adapting Points in space from video, for a stage performance; [recording gap from ca. 5:44-5:50]; Cunningham speaks about the ways in which video impacts how a viewer sees choreography including size, timing and speed; silence in his [Merce Cunningham Dance] Company rehearsals, using unconventional music in performances, and the dancers' concentration; more on timing as an important structural element in his choreography; the independence of the composition process for composers working with Cunningham, especially with John Cage; Cunningham speaks about how tedious it is for the dancers while filming dance and the difficulty of re-shooting sequences; his opinions of narrative in dance and changes in attention span due to television; Kate Borger speaks with Walker about Cunningham as a performer with his Company, ca. 20:16-21:15; Lopate and Borger continue to speak with Walker about Points in space, filming dance, and the New York & Company show, ca. 21:17-28:28; Elliot Caplan calls into the program and speaks about the broadcast of Points in space on Arts and Entertainment cable television station, his training as a painter with Elizabeth Murray, ca. 28:29-31:31; ends abruptly.
- Side b [part 1 of the program]: Begins abruptly, Leonard Lopate speaks with Kate Borger about the New York & Company show and Melody Walker's interview with Merce Cunningham; Lopate and Borger speak about dance on television and public radio's coverage of dance; they speak about his recent guests, Emmanuelle Béart, Robert Townsend, and Demetra Vance; they speak about acting and the physical appearances in actor's that can make a career successful; they speak briefly with Walker about physical appearances in dancers; [announcement break and music, ca. 16:50-18:32]; they speak about the show's producer being ill and plans for future New York & Company shows; Walker speaks about reasons for interviewing Cunningham at his Westbeth Studio rather than live on the show; they speak briefly about the press kits for the Merce Cunningham Dance Company; Walker speaks about Cunningham's innovative approach to filming dance for video and television; Walker announces the broadcast of Points in space on Arts and Entertainment cable television station; Walker speaks about the BBC mini documentary about Cunningham and Elliot Caplan that accompanies Points in space; Borger speaks about her enjoyment of watching dance and the Cunningham Company; they speak about Cunningham's unique approach to the music that accompanies his choreography; Walker speaks more about Points in space and John Cage's composition Voiceless essay; ends abruptly.
- Uniform Title
- Leonard Lopate show.
- Alternative Title
- Merce Cunningham Dance Foundation Collection. Audio materials.
- Musique concrète.
- Radio interviews.
- Melody Walker interviews Merce Cunningham on the radio program New York & Company (former name of the Leonard Lopate show), broadcast on WNYC on October 29, 1987.
- Title, dates and location provided by cataloger based on handwritten and typed notes on original container and cassette, and audition.
- Handwritten note on original container: "Interview with Merce - WNYC - Public Radio - Taped 10/27 - Broadcast NY 10/29/87 @ 12pm ; National broadcast throughout week - different time schedules". Typed note on original cassette: "Merce Interview, WNYC Radio".
- Sound quality is mostly good; there are occasional background recording sounds.
- Access (note)
- Patrons can access streaming audio only on site at NYPL Research Libraries.
- Source (note)
- Merce Cunningham Dance Foundation,
- Linking Entry (note)
- Forms part of the Merce Cunningham Dance Foundation Collection.
- Call Number
- *LTC-A 1423
Interview with Merce Cunningham about Points in space : on New York & Company (Radio program), WNYC, 1987-10-27 / hosted by Leonard Lopate and Kate Borger.
October 27, 1987.
October 29, 1987.
- Playing Time
- Type of Content
- Type of Medium
- Type of Carrier
- Digital File Characteristics
Recorded in, New York, NY, 1987 October 27.
Broadcast on WNYC FM, New York, NY, 1987 October 29.
- Restricted Access
Patrons can access streaming audio only on site at NYPL Research Libraries.
- Original Version
Archival original: (1 audio cassette (65 minutes) : analog) in *LTC-A 1423.
- Linking Entry
Forms part of the Merce Cunningham Dance Foundation Collection.
- Local Note
Transferred from original analog cassette by George Blood Audio on March 25, 2015; two preservation files were created based on cassette sides.
Gift; Merce Cunningham Dance Foundation, 2011-2012.
- Connect to:
- Added Author
Borger, Kate, host.
Caplan, Elliot, commentator.
Cunningham, Merce, interviewee.
Lopate, Leonard, host.
Walker, Melody, interviewer.
Container of (work): Cage, John. Voiceless essay. Selections.
National Public Radio (U.S.), radio producer.
WNYC (Radio station : New York, N.Y.), broadcaster.
Merce Cunningham Dance Foundation, donor.
- Added Title
Leonard Lopate show.
Merce Cunningham Dance Foundation Collection. Audio materials.
- Found In:
Merce Cunningham Dance Foundation Collection.
- Research Call Number