- Additional Authors
- Found In
- Merce Cunningham Dance Foundation Collection.
- 1 streaming audio file (35 minutes) : digital, stereo
- Alternative Title
- Merce Cunningham Dance Foundation Collection. Audio materials.
- Magazine format radio programs.
- Radio interviews.
- Radio news programs.
- Title provided by cataloger based on audition and handwritten notes on original container and cassette.
- Handwritten notes on original container and cassette: "Merce on BBC ; Oct 95".
- Sound quality is mostly good; the speakers are audible but at times the sound becomes distorted and the recording volumes are uneven.
- Donor's inventory numbers [labeled with two]: C351, and, C379.
- Access (note)
- Patrons can access streaming audio only on site at NYPL Research Libraries.
- Source (note)
- Merce Cunningham Dance Foundation,
- Linking Entry (note)
- Forms part of the Merce Cunningham Dance Foundation Collection.
- Call Number
- *LTC-A 1187
Jann Parry reports on the Merce Cunningham Dance Company on BBC Radio ; and, interviews with Anuradha Kapur and Hugo Davenport; and, Britain today (Radio program), 1995-10.
- Playing Time
- Type of Content
- Type of Medium
- Type of Carrier
Broadcast on BBC radio in, London, England, 1995 October.
Begins abruptly; unidentified host briefly summarizes the original plot of Cyrano de Bergerac and speaks with director Anuradha Kapur about her re-staging of the play for Cyrano (1995); ca. 5:06, host speaks with cinema critic Hugo Davenport about Il Postino (1994) and the integration of Pablo Neruda's poetry into the film; ca. 10:31, host memorializes poet Gavin Ewart and plays a recording of Ewart reading an excerpt from a poem; ca. 11:58, host introduces Merce Cunningham and John Cage, and the Merce Cunningham Dance Company visit to London to perform Events as part of the Dance Umbrella Festival; brief clip of Cunningham speaking about the origin and purpose of his Events; ca. 13:55, host speaks with Observer newspaper dance critic, Jann Parry, about audience responses to Merce Cunningham's choreography and Company; Jann speaks about early Company performances and the multiple focal points of the work, including Cage's idea of "poly-attentivity"; host concludes the program and plays an excerpt from Stuart Dempster's Underground overlays; ca. 18:35-32:50, Britain today radio news program with host Catherine Utley; ca. 32:54-34:39, station announcements and world news briefs.
- Restricted Access
Patrons can access streaming audio only on site at NYPL Research Libraries.
- Original Version
Archival original: (1 audio cassette (35 minutes) : analog) in *LTC-A 1187.
- Linking Entry
Forms part of the Merce Cunningham Dance Foundation Collection.
- Local Note
Transferred from original analog cassette by George Blood Audio on March 25, 2015.
Gift; Merce Cunningham Dance Foundation, 2011-2012.
- Connect to:
- Added Author
Cunningham, Merce, commentator.
Davenport, Hugo, inteviewee.
Ewart, Gavin, speaker.
Kapur, Anuradha, inteviewee.
Parry, Jann, commentator.
Utley, Catherine, host.
Container of (work): Ewart, Gavin. Poems. Selections.
BBC Radio, broadcaster.
Merce Cunningham Dance Foundation, donor.
- Added Title
Merce Cunningham Dance Foundation Collection. Audio materials.
- Found In:
Merce Cunningham Dance Foundation Collection.
- Research Call Number