- Additional Authors
- Merce Cunningham Dance Foundation, donor.
- Found In
- Merce Cunningham Dance Foundation Collection.
- 1 streaming audio file (25 minutes) : digital, stereo
- Alternative Title
- Merce Cunningham Dance Foundation Collection. Audio materials.
- Atlas, Charles, filmmaker
- Johns, Jasper, 1930- costume designer
- Lichtenstein, Roy, 1923-1997, production designer
- Rauschenberg, Robert, 1925-2008, production designer
- Vaughan, David, 1924- arts administrator
- Warhol, Andy, 1928-1987, production designer
- Merce Cunningham Dance Company
- Event (Choreographic work : Cunningham)
- Jour ou deux (Choreographic work : Cunningham, M)
- Loose time (Choreographic work : Cunningham)
- RainForest (Choreographic work : Cunningham)
- City sounds
- Dance and technology
- Dance > Stage-setting and scenery
- City sounds.
- Sound recordings.
- Title provided by cataloger based on handwritten note on original audio disc and audition.
- Handwritten note on original compact disc: "Merce Cunningham Movies Audio CD ; 1. Melange ; 2. Dances ; 3. Dances ; 4. Art for Merce".
- Sound quality is mostly good; there are occasional electronic blips.
- Access (note)
- Patrons can access streaming audio only on site at NYPL Research Libraries.
- Event (note)
- Dubbed to audio disc in an unidentified location.
- Source (note)
- Merce Cunningham Dance Foundation,
- Linking Entry (note)
- Forms part of the Merce Cunningham Dance Foundation Collection.
- Call Number
- *LDC-A 412
Cunningham, Merce, speaker.
Merce Cunningham's "movies" narration / by Merce Cunningham.
- Playing Time
- Type of Content
- Type of Medium
- Type of Carrier
Dubbed to audio disc in an unidentified location.
- Restricted Access
Patrons can access streaming audio only on site at NYPL Research Libraries.
- Original Version
Archival original: (1 audio disc (25 minutes) : digital, 4 3/4 in., stereo) in *LDC-A 412.
1. Melange, ca. 0:00-6:19: Sound recording of footsteps and city streets; 2. Dances, ca. 7:37-12:40: Merce Cunningham speaks about the early tours of his Merce Cunningham Dance Company throughout the United States in a Volkswagen Bus from 1954-1964; his use of chance operations in his choreography; he quotes Carolyn Brown speaking about the Volkswagen Bus tours; 3. Dances, ca. 12:53-17:16: Merce Cunningham speaks about the first European tours of his Company in the mid-1960's; he explains his purposes for creating Event performances and lists the first locations of these; his collaborators, including briefly the Company archivist, David Vaughan, and filmmaker Charles Atlas; his appreciation of dance and his dancers; his use of the LifeForms computer program and motion capture in his choreography; 4. Art for Merce, ca. 17:35-24:46: Merce Cunningham speaks about collaborating with visual artists; an anecdote on his first collaboration with Robert Rauschenberg for Minutiae (1954); an anecdote on Terry Winters' decor for Loose time (2002); a brief anecdote on asking Roy Lichtenstein to make decor for Pond way (1998); anecdotes on working with Andy Warhol and Jasper Johns for RainForest (1968); an anecdote on the premiere of Jour ou Deux (1973).
- Linking Entry
Forms part of the Merce Cunningham Dance Foundation Collection.
- Local Note
Transferred from original audio disc by the New York Public Library's Audio and Moving Image Preservation (PAMI) sound engineering staff at the Library for the Performing Arts on February 17, 2015.
Gift; Merce Cunningham Dance Foundation, 2011-2012.
- Connect to:
- Added Author
Merce Cunningham Dance Foundation, donor.
- Added Title
Merce Cunningham Dance Foundation Collection. Audio materials.
- Found In:
Merce Cunningham Dance Foundation Collection.
- Research Call Number