- Additional Authors
- 2 streaming video files (102 min.) : sound, color.
- Series Statement
- Susan Hess Modern Dance Lecture Series Video Archive
- Uniform Title
- Trilogy (Choreographic work : Brown)
- Susan Hess Modern Dance Lecture Series Video Archive.
- Alternative Title
- Trisha Brown
- Painted Bride, M. Keutemeyer
- Filmed dance.
- Filmed interviews.
- Title taken from original cassette label and other videos from the series.
- For same interview but different camera angle, see: *MGZIDF 1478 Six American Dance Pioneers : A Look Back, A Leep Forward: Trisha Brown.
- Reel 1 (approximately 53 min.) ; Reel 2 (49 min.).
- Dance film excerpts interspersed between discussions include: El Trilogy (2000), Orfeo (1998) and Luci Mie Traditrici (2001).
- Access (note)
- Patrons can access streaming video files online only onsite at the Library for the Performing Arts.
- Credits (note)
- Presented by Susan Hess Modern Dance; videographer, M. Keutemeyer.
- Source (note)
- Reel 1. Introduction (12 min.) / danced and spoken by Lisa Kraus -- Trisha Brown with dance films (beginning) [ends abruptly] (41 min.) -- Reel 2. Trisha Brown with dance films (conclusion) (49 min.)
- Call Number
- *MGZIDF 1478
Six American Dance Pioneers : A Look Back, A Leap Forward: Trisha Brown.
- Country of Producing Entity
- Type of Content
two-dimensional moving image
- Type of Medium
- Type of Carrier
Susan Hess Modern Dance Lecture Series Video Archive
Susan Hess Modern Dance Lecture Series Video Archive.
- Original Version
Original format: 2 videocassettes (Mini DV).
- Restricted Access
Patrons can access streaming video files online only onsite at the Library for the Performing Arts.
Presented by Susan Hess Modern Dance; videographer, M. Keutemeyer.
Videotaped during talk at Painted Bride Art Center, Philadelphia, Pa. 2001 May 1.
Reel 1. Trisha Brown (choreographer) discusses working in cycles; directing operas; the creation process for the jazz trilogy, El Trilogy (2000); creating El Trilogy over a short period of time with trumpet player, Dave Douglas, and painter, Terry Winters; explaining the phrase, Blowing a phrase out; brief question and answer session regarding Brown's use of clusters and her jazz sensibility. Reel 2. Brown discusses tee speed of her work; talks about the Monteverdi opera she created, Orfeo; the structure given to her by the music; wanting to direct an opera; working out movement on the dancers and every singer having a private coach; how the set worked; discussion of Brown's new work, Luci Mie Traditrici with brief question and answer session about her use of talking while dancing and if this theme relates to her operas; creating a new language/vocabulary for her Opera work; Orfeo winning the Grand Prize (Critic's Choice) in France; singers telling her that the movements she created helped them to learn the music; Brown mentions upcoming performances at Lincoln Center of Luci Mie Traditrici and El Trilogy; and concludes with thanking Susan Hess and Lisa Kraus.
Gift; Susan Hess; 2010.
- Connect to:
- Local Subject
Opera ballet. Orfeo.
Opera ballet. Luci mie traditrici.
- Added Author
Kraus, Lisa, dancer.
Kraus, Lisa, speaker.
Brown, Trisha, 1936-2017, speaker.
Brown, Trisha, 1936-2017, choreographer.
Monteverdi, Claudio, 1567-1643. Orfeo.
Sciarrino, Salvatore. Luci mie traditrici.
Hess, Susan, director.
Painted Bride Art Center.
Hess, Susan, donor.
- Added Title
Painted Bride, M. Keutemeyer
Container of (work): Trilogy (Choreographic work : Brown)
- Research Call Number