- Additional Authors
- 2 streaming video files (61 min.) : sound, color.
- Martha Hill discusses modern dance in the United States with an introduction and conclusion by Susan Hess; Hill thanks the film creators, Ralph Jester, Charles Rinehart, and Jack Venza; talks about how this dance period will be characterized in the future; her childhood and dance background; discusses films after audience viewings including outfits worn by Bennington dancers, and how Hill became director of the Bennington School of Dance; dancing with Martha Graham and teaching to make extra money; teaching at Bennington College and New York University both from 1932-1951; pioneering dance at Juilliard; how early modern dance pieces were choreographed by Martha Graham and Mary Wigman for women only with Graham introduced men in her work, American Document; Graham's evolution into stark movements; the Carnegie Hall studio performances, and the Graham company moving to different locations; Bennington College combining Dance, Theater and Music into one Art Department after Pearl Harbor attack in 1941. Discussion concludes with brief comments on Reel 2 by Susan Hess.
- Series Statement
- Susan Hess Modern Dance Lecture Series Video Archive
- Uniform Title
- Susan Hess Modern Dance Lecture Series Video Archive.
- Alternative Title
- Recollections and Rare Films
- Filmed dance.
- Nonfiction films.
- Title from original video cassette label.
- Films are not shown on this video.
- Access (note)
- Patrons can access streaming video files online only onsite at the Library for the Performing Arts.
- Credits (note)
- Videographer, Alan Powell.
- Source (note)
- Reel 1. Evening with Martha Hill (59 min.) -- Reel 2. Closing comments (2 min.) / by Susan Hess.
- Call Number
- *MGZIDF 1463
Five Evenings with American Dance Pioneers : Martha Hill, Second Evening.
- Country of Producing Entity
- Type of Content
two-dimensional moving image
- Type of Medium
- Type of Carrier
Susan Hess Modern Dance Lecture Series Video Archive
Susan Hess Modern Dance Lecture Series Video Archive.
- Original Version
Original format: 2 videocassettes (U-matic) ; 3/4 in.
- Restricted Access
Patrons can access streaming video files online only onsite at the Library for the Performing Arts.
Videographer, Alan Powell.
Speaker, Martha Hill.
Videotaped during talk at Hess studio in Philadelphia, Pa. 1983 April 8.
Gift; Susan Hess; 2010.
- Connect to:
- Added Author
Hill, Martha, 1900-1995, speaker.
Hess, Susan, speaker.
Powell, Alan, videographer.
Hess, Susan, donor.
- Research Call Number