- Additional Authors
- 1 digital video file (5 min.) : digital, stereo., H.264 file.
- Uniform Title
- Bhutan Dance Project, Core of Culture.
- Alternative Title
- Dance of the Atsaras. Tamzhing Phala Choethpa, 2nd Day
- Filmed dance.
- Filmed performances.
- Tamzhing Phala Choethpa means the Tamzhing Festival of the Boar or Pig. Five kms drive from the Jakar town lies the Tamshing Lungrub Chholing which means the Temple of the Good message. In 1501 Pema Lingpa established it and now is the most important Nyingma goemba in the Kingdom. It is believed that Pema Lingpa had built the goemba with the assistance from Khandroma (female celestial deities/angels). Inside there are original images painted by Pema Lingpa. On the east side of the inner court lies a small lhakhang called as Dunkur Lhakhang. The lhakhang has an unusual design with the main chapel in the center of the assemble hall, almost like a separate building. In the front lies three thrones for the three incarnations (body, mind & speech) of Terton Pema Lingpa.
- Tamzhing Phala Choethpa is held for three days each year from the 10-12th day of 8th Bhutanese month. A Chamjug or rehearsal day is held on the 9th day of the Lunar Month.
- Tamzhing Phala Choethpa Festival (Sept. 13, 2005: Day Two): Atsara Cham - Dance of the Atsaras ; Lang Zam - Bull-headed Zam Dance ; Phag Cham - Dance of the Boar ; Peling Jug Ging - Dance of the Ging with Batons (Monks) ; Peling Dri Ging - Dance of the Ging with Swords (Monks) ; Peling Nga Cham - Peling Drum Dance (Laymen) ; Guru Tshengye - Eight Mainifestations of Guru Rinpoche.
- Access (note)
- Event (note)
- Videotaped in performance at the Tamzhing Lhakhang/Monastery (dance apron of main courtyard, courner looking across arena diagonal at the dancers' entrance), in Bumthang, on Sept. 13, 2005.
- Source (note)
- Call Number
- *MGZIDF 701
Atsara Cham. Tamzhing Phala Choethpa, 2nd Day [electronic resource].
- Country of Producing Entity
Bhutan Dance Project, Core of Culture.
The clowns begin the dances for the day with an introductory dance.
Videotaped in performance at the Tamzhing Lhakhang/Monastery (dance apron of main courtyard, courner looking across arena diagonal at the dancers' entrance), in Bumthang, on Sept. 13, 2005.
Gift; Core of Culture. NN-PD
- Connect to:
- Local Subject
Ritual and ceremonial dancing -- Bhutan.
Mask dances -- Bhutan.
- Added Author
Core of Culture (Organization)
Core of Culture. Donor
- Added Title
Dance of the Atsaras. Tamzhing Phala Choethpa, 2nd Day
- Research Call Number