- Publication Date
- V. 1, no. 1 (Mar. 1967)-v. 1, issue #9 (Jan. 1968).
- 1 v. : ill.; 43 cm.
- Alternative Title
- L.A. oracle
- Oracle of Southern California
- Oracle of So. Calif.
- Southern Calif. oracle June 1967
- So. Calif. oracle Aug. 1967
- S. Calif. oracle Oct. 1967
- LA oracle
- Los Angeles oracle
- Southern California oracle
- Shankar, Ravi, 1920-2012
- Crosby, David, 1941-
- LSD (Drug) > Social aspects > United States > Periodicals
- Hippies > California
- Jefferson Airplane (Musical group)
- Underground press publications > California > Los Angeles
- Shankar, Ravi, 1920-2012 > Portraits
- Davis, Miles
- Communal living > California
- Freedland, Nat
- Yoga > Periodicals
- Counterculture > California > Periodicals
- Yi jing
- Popular culture > Periodicals
- LSD (Drug) > Periodicals
- California > Social life and customs > Periodicals
- Dana, Joe
- Youth > Drug use > California
- Zen Buddhism
- New Age movement > California > Periodicals
- Country Joe and the Fish
- Harrison, George, 1943-2001 > Portraits
- Crosby, David, 1941- > Portraits
- Rock music > 1960-1971 > Analysis and appreciation
- Byrds (Musical group)
- Counterculture > California > Pictorial works
- Sex > Religious aspects
- Lifestyles > California > Periodicals
- Doors (Musical group)
- Los Angeles (Calif.) > Social life and customs > Periodicals
- Greene, Liz
- Mintz, Eliott
- Watts, Alan, 1915-1973 > Portraits
- Psychedelic art > Specimens
- Underground newspapers > California > Los Angeles
- Alternative lifestyles > California > Periodicals
- Religion and culture > United States
- Leary, Timothy, 1920-1996
- Los Angeles (Calif.) > Periodicals
- Hopi Indians
- Underground newspapers – California – Los Angeles.
- Published in tabloid format.
- Publisher varies: Oracle Cosmic Joy Fellowship, Nov. 1967-Jan. 1968.
- This tabloid journal and the San Francisco Oracle, which inspired it, were among the founding periodicals of the Underground Press Syndicate. Both periodicals were notable forums for the 1960s counterculture, including psychedelic ideology and art.
- Includes photographs of hippies and advertisements for hippie stores, various Love-Ins, and concerts and music festivals featuring groups such as The Byrds, Kaleidoscope, Clear Light, The Fraternity of Man, Jefferson Airplane, The Doors, Country Joe & The Fish, and others. Also includes articles about health issues like STDs and hepatitis and public service information about federal food stamps, county health centers, the A.C.L.U., etc.
- Access (note)
- Additional Formats (note)
- Available on microfilm from Bell & Howell as part of the Underground Press Collection.
- Oracle #1 (March 1967): Peter Bergman on the Hopi Indian; The Love-In of the Spring Equinox; The I-Ching -- Oracle #2 (April-May 1967): Allan Watts interview by Nat Freedland; The Hopi Life Plan; Elliot Mintz & Joe Dana Talk -- Oracle #3 (June 1967): How to Start Your Own Religion; On the Possibilities of an L.S.D. Utopia by Thadeus and Rita Ashby -- Oracle #4 (July 1967): How to Meditate; The Sound of God by Ravi Shankar; Miles [Davis] Interviews George Harrison; Diggers -- Oracle #5 (Aug. 1967): Strawberry Fields Forever? [interview with mentor of the psychedelic tribe Strawberry Fields]; STP: Additive or Subtractive?; A Beatle Meets the Press; Why Psychedelics? -- Oracle #6 (Oct. 1967): Tim Leary's Prediction; David Crosby of The Byrds -- Oracle #7 (Nov. 1967): cover art by Liz Greene; Birth of a Tribe [by Gene Carlson of the Om Foundation commune]; The Yoga of Sex and the Magic Mushroom by Thad and Rita Ashby; photo of naked hippie girl body painted with the words "Granny Takes a Trip West" -- Oracle #8 (Dec. 1967): psychedelic black-lite mandala posters; "Further Notes" [poem by Bob Kaufman]; The New Gurus, interviews by Joe Dana -- Oracle #9 (Jan. 1968): A Stroll Down Memory Lane with Hugh Romney [Wavy Gravy]; Rolling Thunder Speaks; Sex, Religion, and LSD by Allan D. Coult [Chairman of the International Society for Psychedelic Anthropology at Berkeley].
- Call Number
- Berg Coll+++ Counterculture O73 1967
- sn 93023947
Oracle / City of Los Angeles.
Los Angeles, Calif. : Oracle of Southern California, c1967-1968.
- Current Frequency
- Additional Formats
Available on microfilm from Bell & Howell as part of the Underground Press Collection.
Restricted access; request permission from holding division.
- Local Note
The Berg Collection holds all 9 issues published, with duplicates of nos. 5, 7, and 9.
The Berg Collection holds a related publication, Oracle Anthology I: A Chronicle of the Aquarian Age; this item is cataloged separately but housed with the issues of The Oracle.
- Connect to:
- Place of Publication
United States California Los Angeles Los Angeles.
- Other Title
Oracle of Southern California
Oracle of So. Calif.
- Cover Title
Southern Calif. oracle June 1967
So. Calif. oracle Aug. 1967
S. Calif. oracle Oct. 1967
- Added Title
Los Angeles oracle
Southern California oracle
- Research Call Number
Berg Coll+++ Counterculture O73 1967