- Additional Authors
- 1 videocassette (82 min.) : sd., col.; 1/2 in.
- Feature films.
- In German with English subtitles.
- Based on the play by Georg Büchner.
- Credits (note)
- Director, writer, Werner Herzog; photography, Jörg Schmidt-Reitwein; music, Vivaldi, Benedetto Marcello.
- Performer (note)
- Klaus Kinski, Eva Mattes, Wolfgang Reichmann.
Woyzeck [videorecording] / Werner Herzog Filmproduktion in association with ZDF.
New York : New Yorker, 1978.
Director, writer, Werner Herzog; photography, Jörg Schmidt-Reitwein; music, Vivaldi, Benedetto Marcello.
Klaus Kinski, Eva Mattes, Wolfgang Reichmann.
Herzog's "caustic tragedy" charts an ordinary man's plunge into madness and murder. It closely follows the 27 short scenes of Georg Büchner's 1836 play based on the true story of a barber-soldier beheaded in Leipzig in 1821 for murdering his mistress. Franz Woyzeck, a simple minded brow-beaten soldier pursued by menacing visions, works at a variety of jobs to support his common-law wife, Maria, and their young child. He allows himself to be the guinea pig for the town's doctor and scientist who has him on a diet of peas. When he suspects Maria of betraying him with a handsome drum major, he resorts to drastic action.
- Added Author
Herzog, Werner, 1942-
Büchner, Georg, 1813-1837. Woyzeck.
- Branch Call Number
VTH 1765 W