- Additional Authors
- 7 linear feet (16 boxes and 2197 videotapes).
- The Testing the Limits records consist of both organizational records and video footage shot by the collective documenting all aspects of the struggle for health care and civil rights that faced people with AIDS.
- Uniform Title
- Question of Equality (Television program).
- Documentry film
- Video recordings.
- Access (note)
- Advance notice required. Apply at http://www.nypl.org/mssref
- No duplication can be made of videotapes without prior written consent from the videographers.
- Biography (note)
- Testing the Limits was a video collective formed in New York in 1987 to document AIDS activism.
- Call Number
- MssCol 3614
Testing the Limits (Firm).
Testing the Limits records, 1987-1995 (bulk 1988-1990).
Advance notice required. Apply at http://www.nypl.org/mssref
No duplication can be made of videotapes without prior written consent from the videographers.
Testing the Limits was a video collective formed in New York in 1987 to document AIDS activism. The collective produced its seminal work Testing the Limits: NYC, in 1987 and a feature-length documentary, Voices from the Front, in 1991. The collective's final production was a four-part documentary, The Question of Equality, which chronicled the gay and lesbian struggle for civil rights.
- Finding Aids
Finding aid available in repository and on internet: http://archives.nypl.org/mss/3614
- Location of Other Archival Materials
Related collections include the AIDS Activist Videotape Collection, People With AIDS Coalition Records, ACT UP New York Records, and ACT UP Oral History Project Videotapes; Gay Men's Health Crisis records, Manuscripts and Archives Division; New York Public Library.
- Connect to:
- Added Author
Kipnis, Hilery Joy.
ACT UP New York (Organization).
People with AIDS Coalition.
- Added Title
Question of Equality (Television program).
- Research Call Number