- Additional Authors
- 75 linear feet (179 boxes )
- Financial records.
- Scripts (documents)
- Access (note)
- Collection is open to the public. Library policy on photography and photocopying will apply. Advance notice may be required.
- Biography (note)
- Established in New York City in 1874, the Lambs Club is the oldest professional theater club in the United States.
- Indexes/Finding Aids (note)
- Collection guide available in repository and on internet.
- Call Number
- *T-Mss 1976-003
Lambs (Theatrical club : New York, N.Y.)
Lambs Club records, 1880-1973.
- Restricted Access
Collection is open to the public. Library policy on photography and photocopying will apply. Advance notice may be required.
The Lambs Club records consist mainly of membership files and financial records. There are also meeting minutes from committees and the Council at their monthly and yearly meetings. Scripts written by members of the Lambs Club, office files, and scrapbooks also form a part of this collection. Much of the material dates from the 1930s and 1940s, although there is some material from as early as the 1880s. Loose papers that were the most vulnerable have been photocopied. Much of the material concerning the membership is about payments not being made for dues. The collection does not include any personal material of its members. The records are significant in demonstrating some of the inner workings of what was perhaps one of the most important social club for members of the American performing arts community during the early part of the twentieth century.
Established in New York City in 1874, the Lambs Club is the oldest professional theater club in the United States. It was modeled after a similar club in London, England (which had been named in honor of Charles and Mary Lamb, who had hosted an artistic salon). In 1877, the club was incorporated. Originally a men's only social club for professionals in the performing arts, it began admitting women as members in the mid-20th century. Famous past members include Fred Astaire, Irving Berlin, George M. Cohan, John Philip Sousa, and Fred Waring. Membership is by invitation only from a member-in-good-standing. The Lambs, Inc. is governed by a Council consisting of officers, which include: President (Shepherd), Vice-president (Boy), Corresponding Secretary, Recording Secretary, Treasurer, and Historian, as well as a Board of Directors. Annual membership meetings are held in January. The club has had three different homes. The first was in a room at Delmonico's on West 14th Street. The second space was on 44th Street in the heart of the theater district. In 1974, that building was sold and the club moved to its current location on 3 West 51st Street. The Lambs Club also is well known for its response to the needs of the entertainment community. A separate Lambs Relief Foundation was formed in 1943 as an organized charity. Supported by donations, it dispenses funds for the benefit of needy, sick, or destitute members of the entertainment profession. By an action of the 1961-1962 Council, the corporate name was changed to the Lambs Foundation.
Collection guide available in repository and on internet.
- Connect to:
- Added Author
Berlin, Irving, 1888-1989.
Cohan, George M. (George Michael), 1878-1942.
Sousa, John Philip, 1854-1932.
Waring, Fred, 1900-1984.
- Research Call Number